Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Burr Baughman

Cleaning K-3 rear LCD screen

What's a "safe and effective" cleaning solution to use to remove skin oils and perspiration from the screen? I find no guidance in the owners' manual. These hot summer days, I find the screen ends up with almost an oily film that just smears when I try to wipe it off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance.

bmb

08-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

On my K200D I have used the same eyeglass cleaning solution and microfiber cloth that I got from Pearvision when I got my glasses. It works pretty well and I haven't noticed any damage. But I do have to say I have also used a clean tee shirt tail too when out and about with out the camera bag.
08-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted by kdf9511, Clean microfibre cloth will work. For more stubborn oils, a clean tissue wetted with a bit of isopropyl alcohol will work well, but don't drip any cleaners onto the glass, for fear of that solution migrating into the join between the glass and the body. Simply a drop on the cloth or a bit of clean tissue will do the trick.
08-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Burr Baughman Quote
What's a "safe and effective" cleaning solution to use to remove skin oils and perspiration from the screen? I find no guidance in the owners' manual. These hot summer days, I find the screen ends up with almost an oily film that just smears when I try to wipe it off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance.

bmb
I hear you. My K-3 rear LCD is a greasy mess much of the time and is difficult to clean and keep clean. I usually moisten a piece of high quality paper toweling with window cleaner (Windex) and use that to clean the glass.

Steve

08-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The glass on top of the LCD should be fine for anything, paper towels, tissues, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about proper cleaning of the back panel, unless you're trying to clean it with quartz or diamond

Edit: Though do note if there is sand on the back -be careful- when cleaning it. You wouldn't want to accidentally rub that into the screen because it will scratch it, very lightly wipe/lift it off with either a sponge or wet cloth.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-08-2014 at 06:24 AM.
08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I use Solution 30 Lens Cleaner from Carl Zeiss for just about everything optical... cameras, lenses, spectacles etc.
08-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Step 1 use a gentle cleaning solution that cuts through grease and dry thoroughly as described here.

Step 2 cut a square of cardboard to the size and shape of the screen

step 3 buy a mobile phone or pda screen protector from a high street shop, used the cardboard to choose one slightly too big then cut it to size and apply it

I did this to my camera my screen is protected in this way now and I clean it any old way I want without any fear, if the protector screen gets marked I will buy another.

recommended