Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Marco S.

Pentax k30 changes all Settings to Av

Hey ho =)

I have a question for you guys, since i dont know what to do anymore. Google wont help and the manuell neither.
The Problem: i use a pentax k30 and sometimes i take macros with a retroadapter (dont know, if this is the proper english name) but its a nice tool, that mounts your lens the wrong way onto the camera, so it creates really nice macros. But you have to set the focus manuell, same goes for aperture.
problem is, as soon as i take the lens off, all my settings go to Aperture priority. Even manuell goes to Av, automatic goes to Av. everything. Doesn't matter what i choose on the wheel x)

I have made a little video (in german, because i asked friends first) where you can see it.

Since i cant post any Links here: its on youtube. Just go on /watch?v=D986aWiqXKM

I had this error once, when i was shooting outside and i reseted the camera back. After this i could shoot and everything was fine. Now i have the same error again but i didnt touch the settings since my last Macro. I really dont get it =(

I hope you can help me guys, have a nice day / evening

09-04-2014, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
It is normal for camera to give you Av in all modes when it cannot detect the lens (when you use a manual lens, or no lens at all, or a backwards lens or certain adapters/extension tubes). If the lens has an A position on the aperture ring, then you can use all the other modes. Of course, this won't work for a lens that is turned around. But! You can also use M mode. Just turn the dial to M and make sure ISO is a number, not Auto ISO range. Now it will be M, where you can choose the ISO and shutter speed. The aperture should be chosen on the lens. You can also see the metering, but the camera cannot automatically select the settings for you.
With a manual lens, you have full time metering and you can choose auto ISO in Av mode, but the camera will always shoot wide open at the max aperture (not the one selected on aperture ring)
Its quite simple really. The camera cannot allow any automation because the lens is not connected to the camera, so how can it give you P mode or Tv? It only allows Av because it assumes you selected the aperture manually and it gives you the shutter speed it thinks is a fitting. But I think you can still choose options like 2 sec timer, bracketing, HDR.. honestly, Pentax cameras give you a lot of automation even with ancient lenses. In body shake reduction, catch in focus / focus trapping, Av mode with auto ISO..

Also, make sure you go to the back of the Menu and select to enable aperture ring.
09-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Marco S.

Thanks a lot Na Horuk,

I do understand, that the auto-mode cant work properly and i dont want it to work with the reverseadapter
But i needed to change at least shutterspeed.
Your tip with the auto-ISO helped me a lot.
I have to admit, i dont fully understand, why auto ISO changes all modes to Av and a set ISO of lets say 800 lets me use all modes, but i am fine for now, really =)

I can shoot macro, found the error and i am very glad, you helped me out, have a nice day =)