Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
russell kirkham

MZ-50 / ZX-50 error codes

Hi all,

Sorry but im very new to this forum thing, and im a newbie, thanks for your patience in advance.

I have both an MZ-50 and a ZX-50 (which I understand to be the same), and both have similar operational issues. In the LCD screen panal, they are simply displaying the number 100, OR 200, and nothing else, they will not function at all, even with new batteries, and biblical amounts of encouragement, they will not do anything, its almost like the blue screen of death in the case of a PC, but in the SLR camera world.
Please, if you have any ideas, or similar experiences, or indeed any possible quick fix methods, can you let me know.
Mant thanks,

Russell form Melbourne, VIC

09-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sounds pretty terminal, pull the battery and leave it out for a week, then reinsert, also try reset to factory settings (or as close as you can).

That's all I can think.

I have no idea what this error means
09-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #3

Thanks Imageman, I tried the battery thing before, still same. Yes, seems you are right, terminal is the word, I think I better file all of them under B, been for BIN.

I just knew I should have stuck to the old trusty K1000,

Cheers,
09-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Before putting them in the trash, I would try to send an email to Pentax and ask them exactly what these numbers mean. Maybe they will confirm that the cameras are indeed irrecuperable or they could give you information on how to solve the problem.

---------- Post added 09-11-14 at 11:16 AM ----------

The numbers look like ISO numbers. Are by any chance the MZ-50 set on manual ISO and just wait for you to set something ? It's been a long time since I've used an MZ-50, I just don't remember how to do this, but I know it's possible... As far as I remember, when on "ISO set", the LCD was only displaying the film ISO without doing nothing else (only letting you chnage the ISO). Is there a film in the camera ? Maybe it's a problem reading the DX markings on the film, or with the DX contacts. I would try cleaning them, just in case...

Last edited by CarlJF; 09-11-2014 at 08:30 AM.
09-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a (now broken cog) MZ-50. The numbers are indeed the ISO numbers. Just check that the top dial has not rotated to ISO set. It is probably as simple as that.
09-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Before putting them in the trash, I would try to send an email to Pentax and ask them exactly what these numbers mean. Maybe they will confirm that the cameras are indeed irrecuperable or they could give you information on how to solve the problem.

---------- Post added 09-11-14 at 11:16 AM ----------

The numbers look like ISO numbers. Are by any chance the MZ-50 set on manual ISO and just wait for you to set something ? It's been a long time since I've used an MZ-50, I just don't remember how to do this, but I know it's possible... As far as I remember, when on "ISO set", the LCD was only displaying the film ISO without doing nothing else (only letting you chnage the ISO). Is there a film in the camera ? Maybe it's a problem reading the DX markings on the film, or with the DX contacts. I would try cleaning them, just in case...
Hi,
thanks for the info, actually there isnt a film in the camera, I just inserted some batteries, and fitted a lens, just to see if it operated, it did for a while, then it stopped, and just displayed the number 100 in the lcd panel. Similarly on another MZ50 that I bought, when I took it out of the box, and fitted batteries, when I powered it up, it just displayed the number 200 in the lcd panel, and will not do anything.
I have 2 other cameras, one is an MZ50, and the other is a ZX 50 (basically the same cameras), and they also display this number 200 in the lcd panel, so thats 4 cameras that I have with the same problem.
Strange, yes it is, but I have to confess, I have not yet inserted a film into any of them, this is something I must try, maybe it might bring them to life, but I doubt it, surely you should be able to put any of these cameras through their paces without a film inside. But maybe not, I will try it, lets see what happens!
Cheers mate, I will be sure to let you know the results, I will purchase some films tomorrow and try it.

Russell

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I have a (now broken cog) MZ-50. The numbers are indeed the ISO numbers. Just check that the top dial has not rotated to ISO set. It is probably as simple as that.
Hi,

thanks for that info, actually I did check the dial wasnt set on the ISO setting, I have tried every combination of dial setting, still the camera is lifeless.

But, I will try to put a film inside, like CarlJF has suggested, lets see what the result is. Thanks guys, appreciate your time and comments,

Cheers,
Russell
09-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Russell, here's a link to the owners manual - I haven't looked through it, but hopefully it'll have some info you can use...

Pentax MZ-50 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual

Good luck.
09-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Russell, here's a link to the owners manual - I haven't looked through it, but hopefully it'll have some info you can use...

Pentax MZ-50 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual

Good luck.
Hi,

thanks for the link, I did print it out and had a quick scan through it, some useful info indeed.

Cheers,

Oliver