Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
David75

Digital Body

I have an ME Super with Pentax and after market lenses. I would like to buy an digital Pentax of some kind and still use all my lenses, what can get?

09-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can use your lenses on any Pentax digital that takes K mount lenses. The current models are the K-3, K-50 and the new K-S1 but all the older models (K-5, K30, K-7, K20, K-10 etc) will also take your k mount lenses. There is plenty of information here on how to use older manual lenses on the new bodies. Lots of us use old manual lenses because many of them are very good.
09-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi! All Pentax dSLRs have a degree of compatibility with your lenses (require stop-down metering in manual mode). Those that have electrical contacts on the face of the mount and an "A" position on the aperture ring are fully compatible except for being manual focus only.*

The Pentax line from entry to top by feature set (not price):
  • K-500
  • K-50 (best value)
  • K-S1 (new model)
  • K-5 IIs (best value)
  • K-3
Current prices on the K-5 IIs are very competitive for a very well-built, nicely-featured body.

Steve

* There is some risk of incompatibility for lenses that supported the Ricoh "P" mount. You might also want to be aware that the Pentax digital sensor is smaller (APS-C size) than the 35mm film frame. As a result, a given focal length lens will have 1.5x more "reach" than it did on 35mm film. Your existing kit likely does not include any lens offering a wide field of view on APS-C.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-23-2014 at 02:14 PM.
09-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
still use all my lenses
Just one of the joys of Pentax ownership, backwards lens compatibility.

09-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Of the SLR's (and DSLR's) only Pentax retained ability to use all their older lenses (and their larger medium format lenses as well). For 35mm SLR Screwmount w/ adapter, and later 35mm SLR (late 1960's as I recall) directly w/o adapter.
Not even Nikon did this as their pre AI lenses don't mount on the newer cameras--except for one recent one
In rangefinder I believe Leica is like Pentax as all older screw mount I believe work on M3 (and later) bayonet mount.