Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Tass

JPEG files display on camera lcd but can't download

I am assuming I have some corrupt JPEG files on my SD card. They display ok on the camera LCD (why?) and appear to have the same properties as adjacent files that are ok but I can't do any on camera processing or download them to a pc.
Any body had a similar problem? There doesn't appear to be any consistent pattern about the corrupt files; some files that were previously ok are now playing up - suspect the SD card is on it's way out.

10-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tass Quote
I am assuming I have some corrupt JPEG files on my SD card. They display ok on the camera LCD (why?) and appear to have the same properties as adjacent files that are ok but I can't do any on camera processing or download them to a pc.
Any body had a similar problem? There doesn't appear to be any consistent pattern about the corrupt files; some files that were previously ok are now playing up - suspect the SD card is on it's way out.
First step: Make sure you have a fully charged battery.
Second step: Review photos on your PC using a card reader or similar.
10-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Mark.
Have tried both of your suggestions without any success. I have managed to download some of the files but they have come across as 64Kb in size rather than approx 4Mb so are impossible to view. I am able to see them properly on the camera lcd.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated ; I have also tried several file retrieval programs without success.
10-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very odd. I've never heard of a photo displaying OK in camera and then being corrupted out of camera. Have you tried Recuva? What happens if you connect your camera to your PC by USB and use the camera as a card reader?

10-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

Have tried using the camera as a usb device and although the files will download they come across at a reduced size (64Kb as opposed to approx 4Mb); almost as though it's a thumbnail that is being downloaded.
When the camera (Pentax K-r) displays an image on the lcd is it the true image or a thumbnail?
Have tried several recovery programs (but not Recova) without any success.
I appreciate your thoughts on my problem Mark.
10-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd try Recuva. It's fee, and works remarkably well. There's also Zero Assumption Recovery to try.
10-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tass Quote
Have tried using the camera as a usb device and although the files will download they come across at a reduced size (64Kb as opposed to approx 4Mb); almost as though it's a thumbnail that is being downloaded.
When the camera (Pentax K-r) displays an image on the lcd is it the true image or a thumbnail?
Have tried several recovery programs (but not Recova) without any success.
I appreciate your thoughts on my problem Mark.
What you see in camera's LCD is a thumbnail generated by the camera's software, to be able to display the image according to the specifics of the lcd display. It is not the actual JPG file with the image information. That is why other JPG images loaded to the SD cards from other sources (computer, other cameras, etc) will not display in your camera and sometimes not even recognize the existance of the file.

Some years ago, while traveling, it started to happen (Pentax Optio WP). Some pictures taken started to "disappear" from the memory card. Sometimes was only the thumbnail, other times was the actual file leaving just the thumbnails. I walked into this pro photo place to ask for some way to retreive whatever was left on the card and they asked me for about two hours.... they plugged the card in and started their magic: Two hours later, I had a burned DVD disc with every single picture that was supposed to be in the SD card, PLUS ABOUT 150 other pictures that were supposed NOT TO BE THERE (deleted, formatted card, etc!!!!). Don't ask me what software they used to recover the files. I asked but never got an answer

The guy also ran a diagnostics on the card (it was a Delkin 2 Gb at that time) and results was that some "mirror or double redundancy memory banks" were shorted, so even though the card may still work fine after doing a "low level format", it was simply better to throw it away for piece of mind and get a new one.... as I did.

10-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it behaves the same way in different computers, get another card!
10-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The image you see when reviewing in camera is the embedded thumbnail. The data for the real image while the embedded thumbnail is not.

You can test your card with h2testw (windows) or badblocks (linux).