Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
bethp

Pentax K7 No Red light on distance shots

Recently on our Sigma 18-50 &70-300 lens on our 4 yr old K7 Pentax the shot will not take if it is a distance shot. I can trick it by moving the small wheel at the front of the lens all the way to the right, then the red auto focus light will show & a beep will sound & the shot will take. Is it a lens problem (strange that it is happening with both lenses) or a camera problem. I can't find any settings that may have inadvertantly changed though on the camera.

11-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are those auto focus lenses? Sounds like the k-7 does not recognise the auto-focus lenses; if they are, you have to turn the aperture ring setting on the lens to 'A', otherwise, the k-7 will treat it as manual focus lens.
11-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Several thoughts:

Are the two lenses - which I assume are autofocus types - actually moving to try to focus your shots when you 'half-press' the shutter button?

Do you have any other lenses that work ok?

Check the front of your camera to see if the Auto/manual focus switch has been inadvertantly moved to "MF" - it should be in the AF-S or AF-C positions for the autofocus function to work.

- Craig
12-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
then the red auto focus light will show
The red indicator in the viewfinder indicates the active focus point only. If it is not lit, it means that either the AF is turned off or none of the focus points are able to attempt focus. In the first case, MF should display in the viewfinder. In the second case, the green hexagon should blink indicating AF fail. When focus is attained, there should be a beep and the green hexagon should light.

I am curious as to what you mean by "moving the small wheel at the front of the lens all the way to the right". I have looked at illustrations of your lenses and the only thing I can see that is close to a "small wheel" is the focus ring. That should NEVER be turned by hand on an auto-focus lens when AF is turned on. Doing so can damage the AF drive in the lens and for screw-drive, the camera as well.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-02-14 at 08:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Are those auto focus lenses? Sounds like the k-7 does not recognise the auto-focus lenses; if they are, you have to turn the aperture ring setting on the lens to 'A', otherwise, the k-7 will treat it as manual focus lens.
The position of the aperture ring does not affect the AF system.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-02-2014 at 09:34 PM.