Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
MBM

How to I change the shutter and aperture?

I have always taken simple photos with this camera but when I tried to take a picture in the dark the photo came out unfocused. I need help with changing the camera's aperture and shutter.

12-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! You can choose P mode and move the e-dial, which will shift the shutter and aperture, without affecting the brightness. Tv mode lets you choose the shutter speed, and the camera will do everything else. It is good to keep a shutter speed of at least 1/(2*focal length). So 50mm lens should be around 1/(2*50), which is 1/100. Shake reduction (SR) helps with that.
The other problem with dark scenes is Depth of Field. In dark photos, the aperture must be wide, but this causes the depth of field to be more shallow. If you shoot at f8, the depth of field will be very wide. But in darkness you need a smaller fnumber, like f2.8, which will cause the depth of field to be really shallow, perhaps only a couple centimeters. This means most of the photo will be unsharp.
So for dark photos it is best to raise the ISO (sensitivity), but this increases digital noise. Night time photography is a balancing act! With modern cameras, even very high ISO can be used.

Oh, one more thing. The camera will automatically keep a certain brightness of frames (automatic metering). You can affect this by the EV +/- button. But when there is not enough light, there is only so much you can do! This is why people use tripod (to keep photo still) and flash (to add light)
12-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think folks here would find it useful knowing which camera "this camera" is!?
You could also try reading the manual?
12-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You could also try reading the manual?
Indeed, the manual is a great place to start.

The short answer to the question is that the two dials (rear and front) that fall under the thumb and forefinger are used to change aperture and shutter speed, respectively. (At least in the default configuration.)

Steve

12-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ever try to convince a 5D MKIII user that he is missing a rear dial on his camera, and watch the expression on his/her face?
Ask also how to change ISO while keeping the eye in the viewfinder? (kind of awkward, have the use the same index finger to press and then, turn the front dial).

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-03-2014 at 05:26 PM.
12-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Ever try to convince a 5D MKIII user that he is missing a rear dial on his camera, and watch the expression on his/her face?
wait... 5dmkIIIs only have one dial???
12-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Don't think so, unless one can turn the wheel on the back of the camera to change value. I don't have the 5DmkIIIs, can someone confirm?

12-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
There's a mkIII?
12-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

Manual

I printed out the online manual for my K20 and read it about 3 times before I even got the camera delivered!
12-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There's a mkIII?
I think they are up to MK III now... costs around 3k.
12-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't think so, unless one can turn the wheel on the back of the camera to change value.
You can.
12-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can.
So, the wheel (vertical position on the back of the camera) is similar to the function of the rear dial? Rather awkward movement of the thumb reaching down to the wheel, but I guess once you get used to it, then it should be fine.
12-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I think they are up to MK III now... costs around 3k.
Actually, rumors of a mkIV are starting...but I'll stick with the original for awhile :-)
12-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Actually, rumors of a mkIV are starting...but I'll stick with the original for awhile :-)
Since you have the 5D (original), so the big wheel on the back acts like a rear dial on the k-5, correct?
12-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, the wheel (vertical position on the back of the camera) is similar to the function of the rear dial? Rather awkward movement of the thumb reaching down to the wheel, but I guess once you get used to it, then it should be fine.
Well, you see the guys turn it while looking down at the LCD on the top of the camera

Not my idea of ergononics, but there you go.

My NEX7 has three dials. The third is like the second Canon one, but it's only for ISO.

The K-S1 has the single dial and you hit the Exposure Comp button to toggle it between aperture and shutter.