Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
telum

K50 no visible AF points in viewfinder

Hi All.

I have just bought a K-50 with the 18-55mm kit objective.

I am worried that I might have got a faulty one, as the AF points are not visible in the viewfinder. When I focus a red square is presented, but I was expecting constant dots in the viewfinder so that I can precisely aim my focus. That is actually the main reason i bought K-50 and not K-500.

I have gone through the menues and googled a lot without luck, so please help me Pentax gurus!

12-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to the custom function menu- is setting #15 set to enabled?

Also, the dot(s) will only illuminate when the focus is confirmed. They are not on all the time or when the camera fails to focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telum Quote
...I was expecting constant dots in the viewfinder so that I can precisely aim my focus.
That's where you have misunderstood how they work.
12-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
telum

For first reply:
I will check as soon as I am back home with my camera, thanks!

Second reply:
I had expected something like this i the viewfinder, is that not possible with pentax: (google "viewfinder af dots")

Hmm, not allowed to link, but many other brands, like Nikon, have small black dots in the viewfinder besides the brackets. It hope I can get used to using just the brackets if that is the case..

12-12-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Hmm, not allowed to link, but many other brands, like Nikon, have small black dots in the viewfinder besides the brackets. It hope I can get used to using just the brackets if that is the case..
Pentax VF's can't do the dots like Nikon does, unfortunately. Also, if you'd like to post links, create an account

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
telum

Thanks again for your answers. I tried to create an account, but I guess it awaits approval and I was too eager to wait :-)

I guess I will have to learn to live with it and I guess I will considering all of you guys have done so - else I found this thread:

pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/80171-kx-interchangeable-focusing-screen.html

It seems I can buy a new focus screen and replace the existing one, but I do not really like that with a brand new camera:

focusingscreen.com
12-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks again for your answers. I tried to create an account, but I guess it awaits approval and I was too eager to wait :-)

I guess I will have to learn to live with it and I guess I will considering all of you guys have done so - else I found this thread:

pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/80171-kx-interchangeable-focusing-screen.html

It seems I can buy a new focus screen and replace the existing one, but I do not really like that with a brand new camera:

focusingscreen.com
Our accounts don't require approval- you can post right after registering (the first few posts may require approval if they contain links, however).

Adam

12-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can precisely determine your focus by manually selecting the AF point. I have found that to be rather cumbersome and generally set my camera to center point only. I then focus and recompose.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, the dot(s) will only illuminate when the focus is confirmed...
The red dot indicates the active focus point. The green hexagon indicates focus confirmed.

Hmm, not allowed to link, but many other brands, like Nikon, have small black dots in the viewfinder besides the brackets.
Nikon projects the focus grid onto the viewfinder image. The technology is very cool and proprietary and not shared by other brand cameras.

It seems I can buy a new focus screen and replace the existing one
You can replace the focus screen, but it will not change the behavior of the focus point red dot.

Steve
12-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The red dot indicates the active focus point. The green hexagon indicates focus confirmed.
Steve
Agreed, and the manual says it is so..
Attached Images

12-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

but I was expecting constant dots in the viewfinder so that I can precisely aim my focus.

I have gone through the menues and googled a lot without luck, so please help me Pentax gurus!
It is very annoying to see all the dots on the screen when you try to focus.. not in Pentax land.
12-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

If you're getting flustered and need the shot.. set the camera to center point focus, aim the center of the view to where you want the focus, and hold down the shutter release button half way -- the camera will then focus on that point -- keep your finger half pressed on the shutter release button and recompose the scene, then fully press the shutter release to take your photo.

That is an old school method that still works great today! (My first SLR body, the K-x didn't even have focus points -- it actually helped to learn how to use the camera and not rely on the AF technology as much!)