Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
gilo

My Pentax WG-3 stoped working for unknown reason

I have the WR-3 camera for a couple of years and i was making recently a long time laps video of several days, i came to check out on it at the end of the schedueled time but it seemed as if the battery was drained. i took it for a recharge but the recharging light was off while i plug the corde.
I took out to check the battery (seems fine), swaped sockets but no respons whatsoever.
The clock on the external monitor is working fine while the camera is pluged but turns off once i get it unpluged.
Can you please assist me on what to do?

12-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mixed suggestions:
1. did you leave it exposed to rain, humidity etc? I know it's waterproof, but after "a couple of years" the seals could have failed. If yes, then remove the battery and let it dry, maybe in some rice or silica gel.
2. clean the battery contacts and pull them a little so they make contact
3. leave overnight without battery
12-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
gilo

I'll do as sugested

Couple of years means 2.5 years.
If indeed it is humidity problems (it was a relativly humid setting) what else can I do if drying won't help?
Will it be a costly repair?
12-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, I have no idea since I never incurred in a similar issue.
In winter one has to be extra-careful with cameras, some put them in a plastic bag when they are taking them inside a warm house coming from the colder outside temperature and let the camera warm up because a rapid change in temperature could easily cause condensation.
Problems may arise when something is powering the electronics and the electronics are shorting because of water/condensation. It could be nothing, it could be bad, it depends on where the humidity was and what, if anything, was permanently damaged.
If you even remotely consider the possibility that humidity/water was a factor, then remove the battery ASAP and dry the camera before attempting to power it.

Many waterproof cameras manufacturers offer, IIRC, a 1-year only warranty on waterproof cameras, for the particular nature of the task and the fact that rubber seals are prone to degradation.

12-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps it is time for a new battery. They don't last forever, especially when old and left out in the cold to drain for two days.
12-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest trying another battery. If it works with the new battery, then you know your old battery is bad. If it still doesn't work with the new battery, then you know you have a problem with the camera.
12-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
gilo

How can I know if the battery is dead?

I just want to be sure before i order one online.

I aired the camera and battery socket with no results so far. I suspect the battery because the digital clock is still working when pluged to the charger.
12-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gilo Quote

I aired the camera and battery socket with no results so far. I suspect the battery because the digital clock is still working when pluged to the charger.
If the battery has failed, it won't power the camera and won't charge anymore.

12-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Take the camera and battery to your local electronics / photography store and ask if they can test your battery.
12-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

*snip*
I took out to check the battery (seems fine), swaped sockets but no respons whatsoever.
*snip*
I thought you already tested it with a multimeter or something?
12-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
gilo

I did check

It showed 2.75v but I'm not sure if it functions properly.
12-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter

It showed 2.75v but I'm not sure if it functions properly.
Shouldn't it be 3.7? I'm still leaning towards having the battery tested, or try the camera with another battery.