Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Bill Keesling

NO SD card in camera

There was no SD card in new camera. Is that normal? Does it not need an SD card?

12-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't remember how long ago, the memory card was included in brand new camera; most likely in P&S. No, it does not come with memory card any more.
12-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, you need a card. I don't think any camera manufacturers include the card.
12-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes it's required. No, no manufacturer includes them. Lots of choices and some great deals. Some retailers do packages that include accessories including sd cards.

12-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And don't just buy any SD card! There are different classes that perform faster or slower, etc. prices vary wildly, too! Capacity is not the only criteria to look at when shopping for a SD card! The cards you'll find in most retail stores are older and more expensive but less powerful than cards you can get if you shop online, if you can wait a couple of days to get them! Unless you actually live near a real camera store with a good selection of the latest new cards! That is what I've found. A store near me sells old Class 4 15mbs cards for the full retail price that they were going for several years ago! People don't seem to understand!

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-19-2014 at 12:01 PM.
12-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
There was no SD card in new camera.
Surprise!

Is that normal?
Yep.

Does it not need an SD card?
Not unless you plan on saving the images.
12-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
And don't just buy any SD card! There are different classes that perform faster or slower, etc. prices vary wildly, too! Capacity is not the only criteria to look at when shopping for a SD card! The cards you'll find in most retail stores are older and more expensive but less powerful than cards you can get if you shop online, if you can wait a couple of days to get them! Unless you actually live near a real camera store with a good selection of the latest new cards! That is what I've found. A store near me sells old Class 4 15mbs cards for the full retail price that they were going for several years ago! People don't seem to understand!
Where possible Sandisk Class 10 is the preferred type.

12-21-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
There was no SD card in new camera. Is that normal? Does it not need an SD card?
Perhaps it would have been helpful if you had been told these things, where ever you bought your camera from at the time.
01-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

I've never heard of a manufacturer including an SD card, but yes you need one!
01-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's like kids toys. Batteries (and memory cards) not included. We are fortunate that Pentax provides an OEM battery at least.
01-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
It's like kids toys. Batteries (and memory cards) not included. We are fortunate that Pentax provides an OEM battery at least.
Very true! It's also fortunate that memory cards are available locally, in many places.
01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As above. Often the store bundles an SD card with the camera. So if anyone is at fault, it is the camera store (for not telling you to buy an SD card separately) or yourself (for not double checking, although I get it)

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Where possible Sandisk Class 10 is the preferred type.
This is the important part I would say. Sandisk or maybe Lexar. I would suggest against buying other brands, as they can be fickle. 8GB should be enough to begin with and very affordable. I wouldn't bother buying anything above 16GB, I prefer a couple smaller cards over one huge 32 or 64GB one. Just my thoughts

Oh, one more thing!! The camera stores photos on the SD card. Then you need a way to get those photos to your computer. You can do this by using the cable, or by taking the SD card out of the camera and connecting it to the computer with a card reader. Many modern laptops have a built-in SD card reader, but if your machine doesn't have a way to read SD cards, you might want to invest in a good SD card reader. I find it much faster than using cables to connect the camera. Just don't buy a cheap, flimsy card reader (especially online). Its worth it to pay just a little more and get a good, fast, reliable one.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.
01-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And you know what? I, and maybe others, have forgotten to put the SD card back in the camera after removing it to transfer the photos to the computer. And you don't realize it until later, when you press the shutter button to take a picture -- and it says -- No Card...

Suggestion for Pentax -- have the camera go 'beep-beep-beep' when switched on without a card!
01-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
As above. Often the store bundles an SD card with the camera. So if anyone is at fault, it is the camera store (for not telling you to buy an SD card separately) or yourself (for not double checking, although I get it)

This is the important part I would say. Sandisk or maybe Lexar. I would suggest against buying other brands, as they can be fickle. 8GB should be enough to begin with and very affordable. I wouldn't bother buying anything above 16GB, I prefer a couple smaller cards over one huge 32 or 64GB one. Just my thoughts

Oh, one more thing!! The camera stores photos on the SD card. Then you need a way to get those photos to your computer. You can do this by using the cable, or by taking the SD card out of the camera and connecting it to the computer with a card reader. Many modern laptops have a built-in SD card reader, but if your machine doesn't have a way to read SD cards, you might want to invest in a good SD card reader. I find it much faster than using cables to connect the camera. Just don't buy a cheap, flimsy card reader (especially online). Its worth it to pay just a little more and get a good, fast, reliable one.

When I got my K100DS I got a card - I think it was 4G (long ago). Later I got a couple of Transcend 8GB cards which performed well for me. Then when I got the K3 I realised the capacity was going to be bothersome, so when I was in Singapore (a couple of weeks later) I picked up 32GB Sandisk Extreme. It seems to be fast enough for the type of work I do. I use the 8G card in slot 2 for jpg versions.

I chose 32GB because it seemed to be the sweet spot in terms of price for capacity and to have a capacity that would work well for me. I have very rarely ever taken over 400-500 in a day - and that was at a wedding where I was the de facto still photographer. (The bride and groom organised everything else, very grandly, and forget about still photography.) I see little point buying the biggest available card (64G when I was looking) because the price is higher per GB, and the vulnerability to failure for loss of the card is more significant if it happens. I always take the card from the camera to transfer in the computer. I have SD lot, but otherwise would use a reader. I always erase the cards in camera, and format in camera every once in a while. I have not had any trouble with the Sandisk Extreme card. The Transcend lost about 10 pictures out of 12000.

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 08:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
And you know what? I, and maybe others, have forgotten to put the SD card back in the camera after removing it to transfer the photos to the computer. And you don't realize it until later, when you press the shutter button to take a picture -- and it says -- No Card...

Suggestion for Pentax -- have the camera go 'beep-beep-beep' when switched on without a card!

Or even when the SD card slot cover is closed with no card in it. Not much use turning it on on site and discovering I left the card behind at home or in the hotel room.
01-11-2015, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote

Hmmm, little difference to have a beeping when switched on without a card, vs the "no card" when pressing the shutter button. Try the "old" film days, when one could "take" an entire roll of memorable photos, only to find out when they get home that the film was in their pocket!!! You only do that once!

I know we have "smart" everything, including cars that park themselves, but come on folks; we have to take a little responsibility on operating cameras, etc., ourselves.