Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 05:01 AM   #1
Joakim-new

k5 fps

Hi, I'm new to dslr and just bought a used k5. I'm reading the manual with the camera in my hand trying off the different settings. When shooting continuously in lo or hi I get only one picture/sec. This is tested with and without lens in Av, Tv, and P settings with plenty of light, no flash needed.

Is there a setting limiting fps or is there something wrong with my camera.

Kind regards

Joakim

01-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A setting that might be slowing down the frame rate is #16 in the C (custom) menu, AF.C Setting. If it is set to Focus Priority, which is probably the default, the shutter will only fire when the subject is in focus.
01-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Joakim-new

Thank you baro-nite, but it did not help.
01-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A slow memory card maybe?

01-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joakim-new Quote
. This is tested with and without lens in Av, Tv, and P settings with plenty of light, no flash needed.
Test it in M mode and put the camera into manual focus. Set the drive mode to Hi Continuous. Set the shutter speed to 1/125, ISO 100 and f/5.6 -- it doesn't matter if the pictures look good. Just rule out a basic setting error.

Make sure you have a quality memory card that can handle that type of input. I always buy Sandisk's fastest cards that are somewhere around 45Mb/s.
01-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of things to try:
Make sure continuous shooting is set to Hi, not Lo by using the 4 way button and once you select Continuous choose the correct option by pressing the down key.
Use a shutter speed fast enough to allow high FPS such as 1/100 or faster.
Switch focus mode to manual to take out any focusing delay impact.

---------- Post added 01-14-15 at 07:01 AM ----------

Memory card shouldn't impact initial FPS as the camera has a buffer but I guess it doesn't hurt to get a fast card.
01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Joakim-new Quote
Hi, I'm new to dslr and just bought a used k5. I'm reading the manual with the camera in my hand trying off the different settings. When shooting continuously in lo or hi I get only one picture/sec. This is tested with and without lens in Av, Tv, and P settings with plenty of light, no flash needed.

Is there a setting limiting fps or is there something wrong with my camera.

Kind regards

Joakim
Also, be sure to disable lens corrections and shadow/highlight corrections as those can slow down your framerate and/or buffer speed. If you're still experiencing problems, please attach a photo and we'll take a look at the exif to see what's wrong.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
Joakim-new

Wow! Great forum..

It could be the memory card because I bought a cheep one, but as mentioned I should be able to get a few shots in cache before the memory card is the bottleneck. The card is Kingston 32GB SD HC1 30MB/s. To get more shots in cache I have reduced the resolution from 16 to 6M pixel.

I was going to write more about my settings, but testing today it works, hooray! Only bad thing is I don't now what did the trick. It fires 7fps in bad light conditions with shutter speed 1/80 or worse, in Af.s, Af.c and Mf. In Av, Tv or M. There is nothing stopping it except choosing Lo, but I tested both High and lo earlier. Also the correction settings were disabled already.

Thank you for all your replies, I'm sure the answer were in there somewhere.