Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
NIGEL PETERSON-WHITE

Samyang 10mm not working with k3

Hi I have recently looked at reviews of the Samyang 10mm wide angle and it has great reviews and is seen used on a K3 body which is equally awesome. I have just purchased the 10mm via One stop digital in hong kong, looks a great lens, however once attached I cannot get it to connect to the camera. I am aware this is a manual focus lens but even set up correctly I just get an "F" flashing in the viewfinder. It does the same with my K5 too. This is on manual focus and set on aperture priority.

Can anyone advise, am I doing something incorrect or is it a duff lens ??

Best regards

Nigel

01-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NIGEL PETERSON-WHITE Quote
Hi I have recently looked at reviews of the Samyang 10mm wide angle and it has great reviews and is seen used on a K3 body which is equally awesome. I have just purchased the 10mm via One stop digital in hong kong, looks a great lens, however once attached I cannot get it to connect to the camera. I am aware this is a manual focus lens but even set up correctly I just get an "F" flashing in the viewfinder. It does the same with my K5 too. This is on manual focus and set on aperture priority.

Best regards

Nigel
Enable aperture ring use in the Custom settings menu. If the lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, use that and control the aperture with the control wheel on the camera.
01-14-2015, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Best regards

Nigel
Set the aperture ring to 'A' and it should work

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
+1 If you are getting "F--", your aperture ring must not be set to 'A'.

I received my Samyang 10mm last week, and now that I think about it, I got an "F--" right out of the box, too.

Last edited by THoog; 01-14-2015 at 03:20 PM.
01-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

On the lens, you have an aperture ring. Choose the A setting instead of the numbers. You have to press a little button to get it there.
In the camera's Menu, towards the back of it, Enable the Aperture ring.
Turn off the camera for a minute. When you turn it on, it will probably ask you for the focal length. You will have to do that every time, but the camera will remember your last choice, so you can just press OK or the shutter button. The lens is manual focus only. You can try using Catch in focus (aka focus trapping), but it won't work well since the lens is so very ultra wide (unless you are focusing on very near subjects).

I think this about covers it. More info about manual lenses here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
But you probably won't need that. The Samyang is not completely manual
01-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
+1 Your aperture ring must not be set to 'A'.
:confused2:

01-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
:confused2:

Fixed.

(Hey, it made sense to me at the time.)
01-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I am aware this is a manual focus lens but even set up correctly I just get an "F" flashing in the viewfinder. It does the same with my K5 too. This is on manual focus and set on aperture priority.
K-3 Operating Manual pages 81 and 83.

« TAv Issue | k5 fps »