Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Dale L

Imported 645z

I have a used, but like new 645z coming to me from B&H. I spotted Abe's of Maine selling new, imported 645z's for $400 less than the typical $8500. This led me to wonder if the 645z coming to me is imported/gray market version. How do I tell if it is the discounted 'import' model or one intended for sale in the US? Is there any drawbacks to having a gray marker version?

01-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't know how you could tell the difference for this particular camera, but on some Nikons there is a "U" above the barcode on the box for USA items. Perhaps Pentax does something similar. As far as I know for grey market equipment the warranty is not as good, if there is any warranty at all. This is what bhphoto says:

"About USA and Imported Products:
Items marked "USA" are imported and/or distributed by the manufacturer or the manufacturers official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by them. Items marked "Imported" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "Imported" products do not qualify for manufacturers rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself."

Last edited by stillshot2; 01-18-2015 at 06:09 PM.
01-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I don't know how you could tell the difference for this particular camera, but on some Nikons there is a "U" above the barcode on the box for USA items. Perhaps Pentax does something similar. As far as I know for grey market equipment the warranty is not as good, if there is any warranty at all. This is what bhphoto says:

"About USA and Imported Products:
Items marked "USA" are imported and/or distributed by the manufacturer or the manufacturers official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by them. Items marked "Imported" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "Imported" products do not qualify for manufacturers rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself."
I asked the same question when purchasing a K3 last month. They said it was not Grey market and that "B&H does not actually deal in any imported/grey market digital cameras or camera kits." You may want ask them the same just for peace of mind.
01-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale L Quote
I have a used, but like new 645z coming to me from B&H. I spotted Abe's of Maine selling new, imported 645z's for $400 less than the typical $8500. This led me to wonder if the 645z coming to me is imported/gray market version. How do I tell if it is the discounted 'import' model or one intended for sale in the US? Is there any drawbacks to having a gray marker version?
Grey market cameras aren't eligible for warranty service. That's a pretty big wager just to save $400, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: