Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Phyllis I Spoor

Pentax K5 Screw Drive Focus

I have a K5 and my auto focus works intermittently-sometimes it does not even try to focus. My on/off button is sticky and also, does not always work. Could it be related? Would Screw drive focus help? Thanks in advance.

03-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Phyllis.

Just to clarify you are using the "screw drive" focus unless you have an SDM lens such as the DA*16-50 or DA*60-250. So let us know what lens you have, that will help.

Those issues might be related as sometimes the shutter / focus button can get sticky. One slightly weird thing that often fixes the problem is turn the camera off then firmly press the shutter button all the way repeatedly. Keep repeating the button press 20 - 30 times. Then test and see if that helps. Sometimes a little dirt can get down into the button and clog things up, this seems to clear it often. If that does not help you might need to get the camera cleaned.

The above assumes that you are using the shutter release button for focusing (this can also be set to a button on the back) and that you are using a screw drive lens. If you are using back button focus or an SDM lens then post that info back as it changes things a bit.