Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
cftbl

Ricoh KR-5 with Pentax

So I just picked up a Ricoh KR-5 Super II as a second body to my K1000, with the intention of using my Pentax lenses on it. Everything I've read talks about the compatibility between the KR-5 & all manual K-mount lenses, but when I tried my K mounts on it the shutter does not appear to release properly. The shutter functions perfectly with the original lens or without any lens, but as soon as I put any of my SMC 50s or my zoom on, the mirror doesn't flip up. What's going on? Is it a particular fault with this body? Thanks!

04-16-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a KR-5 Super that works fine with an SMC M-series 50mm f/2.
04-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
cftbl

It's very weird - something seems to be holding the mirror up. My SMC M 1.7, SMC A 1.7 & 35-70mm all do this, where pulling the shutter causes the mirror to flip up but the curtain doesn't open & the mirror is stuck until the lens is rotated from lock back to loading position. Interestingly, my M42 screws in an adapter work fine.
04-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a common problem with certain Yashica SLRs. In their case, what happened is that the glue that holds the mirror has lost some of its grip. The mirror slides down slightly and interferes with certain lenses. That may be what has happened to your KR-5. If you gently press on the leading edge of the mirror you may feel it move, which indicates that the mirror has slipped due to the glue becoming rubbery. I've never heard of it happening with Ricoh cameras, but haven't researched it extensively. YMMV

04-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the mirror hitting the back of the lens? I once had an older body (Yashica I think) that the mirror slipped a bit forward and was hitting the back of the lens. See if changing the focus from minimum focusing distance to infinity makes it release.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,

---------- Post added 04-16-2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

HA! Wolfeye beat me to it by a few seconds........
04-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Ricoh KR-5 Super 11 works correctly with all lenses in my collection here including Pentax-M and off brand K's.
Here are some photos looking down into the mirror.
If you need a macro view, just let me know the area.

https://app.box.com/s/0l8v2z4assas4ophl9t2pfl6t4i8f78v
https://app.box.com/s/hkp8py4a1gnpu90qpaoxejlig4dw9q4x
04-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
See if changing the focus from minimum focusing distance to infinity makes it release.
Other way around. Move the focus to the minimum focus distance. This will shift the rear element forward and provide additional clearance for the mirror.

Steve
04-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
cftbl

Thanks for your help everyone - it certainly does appear to be a fault with this particular body. I'll have a look to see if the mirror is out of place or if the focal distance changes things. From looking at the mounting of the lenses, it does appear to be the rear element rim that is different. Cheers!