Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Lisa Buttigieg

lens adapter ring

hi i have a pentax k mount dslr camera i got a very cheap Koboron wide angle 28mm f 2.8 old prime lens.it appears to be in excellent condition and its a canon mount i want an adapter ring to try out the lens? can"t seem to find one, can get the reverse set up .

05-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon has a much shorter mount registration distance than Pentax K. As a result, adapting Canon lenses requires a supplementary glass element in the adapter to attain infinity focus. Unfortunately, there is usually a decrease in performance as a result. FotodioX makes one for Canon FD to Pentax K:

FotodioX Canon FD Pro Lens Adapter for Pentax K-Mount FD-PK-G

(I assume your lens is FD and not EOS or one of the earlier Canon breach-lock mounts)

Steve
05-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There isn't one without glass. Lenses can be easily adapted to another camera if that other camera has a longer registration distance (distance from rear of lens to sensor) which makes room for the adapter, which is why the adapters available usually only go one way. If the distance is shorter, the adapter must be made with its own glass element(s) to correct for that, which possibly degrade the image, and make it too costly to worth bothering with for a cheap lens...
05-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not really worth the effort. There are Canon FD to K mount adapters available, but they have to optically corrected for infinity focus. This means that they are a short tele-converter and IQ is degraded. There are plenty of cheap 28mm lenses in K mount, see if you can work a trade.

05-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Koboron 28~105mm zoom which is quite a useful lens on 35mm.
It is Canon FD mount too, so what better way to use it than a nice old A-1 dedicated to the task?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lisa Buttigieg Quote
hi i have a pentax k mount dslr camera i got a very cheap Koboron wide angle 28mm f 2.8 old prime lens.it appears to be in excellent condition and its a canon mount i want an adapter ring to try out the lens? can"t seem to find one, can get the reverse set up .
Something else to consider: pretty much any lens can be adapted to a bellows and used in macro mode. For example: a 200mm lens on a bellows is quite useful for capturing closeups of butterflies and other critters. I have an old Canon FD bellows to which I can mount my Nikon D800 or Pentax K-3 on the rear and M42, Pentax, Canon FD, and Nikkor lenses on the front.

YMMV

Michael