Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Jeromy

Pentax ME and off camera flash

Hello. I have a Pentax ME and would like to use off camera flash with it but the triggers I have for my more modern cameras do not fit it. What do I need to make this happen? I found one kit that involved a cable between the transmitter and receiver (that appeared to be fairly short) but ideally would need to be wireless. Is there anything out there for this?

06-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A Cactus trigger will work, or any other than also goes on the hotshoe (I would think). I just tested the Cactus V5 with an ME -- works ok.
06-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Jeromy

I'll check into those. Thanks. The Yongnuo's I use on my Nikon D7000 won't push on to even try them.
06-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeromy Quote
I'll check into those. Thanks. The Yongnuo's I use on my Nikon D7000 won't push on to even try them.
The hot shoe on your ME is generic and has standard dimensions, though it is possible that the the Nikon-specific spring-loaded contacts on the trigger might make it more difficult.

Steve

06-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Maybe the hot shoe is just damaged? (Sometimes they get crushed a bit and then nothing will slide in.)
06-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Maybe the hot shoe is just damaged? (Sometimes they get crushed a bit and then nothing will slide in.)
Good point!

Steve
06-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Jeromy

I'm an idiot. It was the contacts on the bottom that weren't pushing in. I forced them with a screwdriver as I slid it on and it fit fine. Now, my issue is that the camera won't trigger them. I have to do more research to see what I'm missing in this equation. It's goin to be something obvious...I know it. I just don't know what it is yet.
06-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm an idiot. It was the contacts on the bottom that weren't pushing in. I forced them with a screwdriver as I slid it on and it fit fine. Now, my issue is that the camera won't trigger them. I have to do more research to see what I'm missing in this equation. It's goin to be something obvious...I know it. I just don't know what it is yet.
Flash not turned on?

No batteries in flash?

Sorry, but those WOULD be obvious....

06-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
did you select the "100X" speed on the camera?

what flash do you use? I recently bought a really neat and small flash from the 80s and realized that it wouldn't always fire when triggered, even with fresh batteries and more than enough time to charge. Another flash unit I use doesn't have this problem at all and works reliably on any combination of cameras and my yongnuo trigger.
06-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
Jeromy

I'm still working on it. It's a Nikon SB700. It works ON the Pentax. It's just taking it off camera that is presenting the challenge. The triggers being the issue. I am going to try to utilize the pc connection on the camera body and see if that makes a difference...I just need to get a connector with that connection on both ends to plug into the trigger on the other end.
06-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've never been able to get the Yongnuo's Nikon triggers to work on my Pentax hot shoes. Digital or film.
06-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I've never been able to get the Yongnuo's Nikon triggers to work on my Pentax hot shoes. Digital or film.
The Nikon pins physically line up with the Pentax pins, this seems to cause some issues since the pins aren't doing quite the same things (except the center one). I have a Nikon rf-602 Tx that often goes haywire in a Pentax dslr hotshoe. A quick solution is to cover all but the centre pin with electrical tape and all is well (the success of this may vary depending on trigger/camera combo).

I know the ME doesn't have the extra communication pins, but it has a pile of metal around so I'd try electrical tape in this case as well to make sure nothing is getting shorted that shouldn't be.
06-24-2015, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I use a PocketWizard PlusX radio sender on the hotshoe of my K-01, with another PocketWizard PlusX on a YongNuo 560 II flash. They work fine... also used them on a K-5 IIs, but prefer them on the K-01, since I gaffer-taped a Hoodman 3" loupe to it, and it is so easy now to accurately compose a scene in any light. I leave the flash on M manual, and adjusting the output power only takes a few seconds, no big deal.

What's neat about radio wireless is that you can put the flash inside a building, and then take a picture from the outside, like in twilight. And, if you are outside in bright sunlight, the flash will always fire, unlike the regular optical wireless flashes, where the sunlight washes out the infrared flash signal.