Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
ebonicity

dark pictures on my brand new k-50

First off, let me say that I'm very new to DSLR cameras, so technical language will only lose me. Next, I just bought a brand new K-50 and all of them are coming out very dark. I've reset the settings, played with things, and still dark images. Please help, so that I don't take my camera back without properly having set it up. Thanks!

07-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ebonicity Quote
First off, let me say that I'm very new to DSLR cameras, so technical language will only lose me. Next, I just bought a brand new K-50 and all of them are coming out very dark. I've reset the settings, played with things, and still dark images. Please help, so that I don't take my camera back without properly having set it up. Thanks!
Check to see if the camera is in spot metering mode, and if so, change it to matrix metering (this can be done via the first tab of the main menu as well as the control panel shown when pressing the INFO button).

Also, make sure that no exposure compensation is dialed in.

If that doesn't help, please post some pictures (attach them straight out of camera) so that we can take a look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
RTFM, troll
that's not very helpful

Its hard to say what's causing it. We'd just be throwing guesses out there. But what mode are you shooting in? Is your exposure compensation set to 0? Try a factory reset, set the camera to green mode, put the camera on a tripod and take a shot. Upload it here so we can see whats going on.
07-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ebonicity Quote
Hi,
If you bought the camera at a local shop, there should be no problem with simply going back there to ask them to help you. They are used to dealing with new owners. If you bought mailorder/Internet, a call to Ricoh/Pentax support would be your best resource. They can walk you through the steps to determine if your camera has a defect or fault.

Good luck!

Steve

07-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pay attention to the advice above regarding metering mode, white balance and exposure compensation. A factory reset will revise all of that if you want to go back to fresh settings.

After that, you'll need to decide how you want to take pictures. Center-weighted metering is often a good choice.
I tend to use TAv mode. The front wheel regulates shutter speed, and the rear wheel regulates aperture. Set the aperture for your needs, stop it down a bit to say f8 where the lens should be relatively sharp. Then adjust your shutter speed until you're comfortable with the ISO the camera reports. Under 1600 is usually best, but you'll get the feel for the noise/shutter speed compromise. That should give you a good exposure, certainly usable.

I tend to have no in-camera adjustments active, even when using jpg mode shooting.

DSLRs have a lot of controls, it gives the photographer a lot of options but that can be overwhelming for a new user.
07-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I'm sorry, but that is sort of rude.
Deleted. Perhaps the poster misread the OP's question...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #7

The Pentax owner manuals are easy to follow and educational regarding what each setting does.