Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
she

DSLR virus

recently i use a SD card infected by a virus in my Nikon 3100 DSLR,but the virus was already remove. when i plug it on my laptop my DSLR is not readable on my computer. but when i get the SD card all files are there when i plug it on the SD port. is it possible that my DSLR is affected by a virus? Nikon software is already installed on my laptop. its been a year of using my DSLR and this is the first time happened..And its my first time to insert a infected SD card on my camer. Help me please...

08-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
mee
Veteran Member

Well a DSLR is essentially a specialized computer.. or at least has one on board to handle processing. However, virii are generally designed to target specific operating systems. With this in mind, I think it unlikely someone has specifically targeted your D3100.

Your post, however, is a little confusing for me to understand. Are you saying your camera, when plugged into your PC via USB cable is not recognized by the PC? Yet your SD card, when plugged directly into your PC, is readable with photos visible?

By the way, you have posted your question on a forum catering to Pentax cameras and not Nikon. You may find it beneficial to ask on a Nikon forum.
08-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well a DSLR is essentially a specialized computer.. or at least has one on board to handle processing. However, virii are generally designed to target specific operating systems. With this in mind, I think it unlikely someone has specifically targeted your D3100.

Your post, however, is a little confusing for me to understand. Are you saying your camera, when plugged into your PC via USB cable is not recognized by the PC? Yet your SD card, when plugged directly into your PC, is readable with photos visible?

By the way, you have posted your question on a forum catering to Pentax cameras and not Nikon. You may find it beneficial to ask on a Nikon forum.
Kudos. Great reply.
08-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is more likely that it is your computer that has the virus, perhaps see a computer repair person and clean out the virus, then connect the camera to see what is happening.

08-31-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First thing first, you have to isolate the problem. I would try to:

A) connect my camera to other computer, see if it works

B) connect another camera to my computer, see if it works

First option is more comfortable to do IRL I guess. I would also make sure my computer is clean (use some AV/antimalware software).
08-31-2015, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several items are in play here. First of all I doubt that your camera is infected for several reasons.
  • To infect a camera, the virus would need to re-flash the program storage of the camera (as the Nikon software does when a new program comes out from Nikon). Next the virus would need to be able to run on the specific type of computer chip in the camera - usually an Arm/DSP (digital signal processor) chip. A virus designed to run on a PC will not be able to do this.
  • The USB interface to the camera is another matter. When you connect the camera, the camera appears to be a new device to the PC. The PC needs a driver installed in order to communicate with the camera. If you had connected the camera to the PC before - the PC probably lost the driver or it's corrupted. If this is the first time you connected the two, the PC does not have the driver installed.
  • The SD card that was previously infected. If it was cleaned its is ok. The real danger is that the PC was not fully cleaned, or that perhaps you used the SD card in another infected computer and it re-infected your PC. It is possible for a virus to survive on an SD card that was reformatted. Essentially it carves out an area on the card that is not subject to being reformatted. This is fairly new and I doubt that it is the case.
Your main concern is the PC, and to some extent the sd card. The camera is the least of your concerns.