Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #1
Indranil Chowdhury

Old Pentax MX SLR camera

I have two pentax MX Camera with various lense fixture , Can I attach these lenses to any DSLR Camera,and if yes then have any nikon DSLR camera series where I can able to fix that lenses?

09-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Current-production Pentax DSLR cameras will accept any Pentax lens. Follow the camera's instruction manual for how to use them, or look here or
09-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Indranil Chowdhury Quote
I have two pentax MX Camera with various lense fixture , Can I attach these lenses to any DSLR Camera,and if yes then have any nikon DSLR camera series where I can able to fix that lenses?
Pentax DSLR's can natively support the lenses. Many cameras with shorter registration distances can use simple mount adapters (Canon, Sony E mount, m4/3, etc). However Nikon has a longer registration distance so putting a Pentax lens on a Nikon body means either losing infinity focus or using an adapter that has lenses and acts like a teleconverter. The optical quality of this glass is not great, so typically this last method is not recommended.

My advice, if you have Pentax glass that you want to use don't try that on a Nikon DSLR other than for Macro work.
09-18-2015, 03:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I also have an MX and was wondering the very same thing about using lens for it on a Pentax DSLR. I took a lens to a camera shop and tried it, it worked fine and as you're used to a totally manual camera like the MX it works the same way on a DSLR. One thing to bear in mind is unless the DSLR is full frame the focal lenght of the lens when used on a DSLR will be the same as if you have a 1.5x teleconverter mounted. e.g. a 50mm lens becomes a 75mm lens.

09-18-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmclaugh Quote
the focal lenght of the lens when used on a DSLR will be the same as if you have a 1.5x teleconverter mounted.
The actual focal length doesn't change; the field of view does. What's actually happening is that the outer part is being lost/cut away (hence "crop sensor"). But the end effect is the same - the picture you get, if printed at the same size, is what you would get with a 1.5X converter on a film body.
09-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The actual focal length doesn't change; the field of view does. What's actually happening is that the outer part is being lost/cut away (hence "crop sensor"). But the end effect is the same - the picture you get, if printed at the same size, is what you would get with a 1.5X converter on a film body.
Sorry, yes that explains it better as the image sensor is smaller than a 35mm negative area. It explains why DSLRs often come with a 18-55 lens as this gives about the same field of view as a 28-85 lens on a 35mm film camera.
09-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just be careful of non-Pentax lenses for the MX. The statement that current Pentax dslrs can use any pentax lens applies only to genuine Pentax brand lenses.

Third-party lenses for k-mount cameras sometimes have minor problems. The most serious happens with some (not all) Ricoh lenses, which have an extra pin that was not used by any Pentax camera but communicated information about the lens to a Ricoh k-mount camera. This pin can get stuck in the Pentax screw-drive autofocus mechanism and make the lens very difficult to remove.

Some Vivitar lenses have a metal guard that protects the aperture lever on the lens. This guard is too long and interferes with the SDM power contacts on Pentax dslrs. It is easy to remove or modify the guard without affecting the functionality of the lens.

But, any Pentax brand lens should work with no problems.