Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
crazy horse

PNY not reading

Hello, My Pentax will not read my PNY elite performance 256gb SD card. When I plug the SD card into the camera I get a 'Need to reformat' message. Does anyone else get anything like this? I am not sure what I need to change when I re-format. Thanks in advance!

09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!

First, make sure the card is in working order. Try this on some other machine. Also, make sure the card is not "locked" or anything like that (some cards have a very fiddly switch on them)

Is the card empty? If yes, you can format it in-camera. This is usually the best option, as the camera will automatically choose the right formatting options. Note that reformatting will empty the card, deleting all info on it. So if you have photos or some data on it, make a backup first.
Put the card into the camera, press Menu, and look for the Format card option (usually in the blue wrench tab, near the middle of the Menu), and format the card. Just to be sure - when you insert the card, make sure it clicks into place. To remove the card, just gently push it into the camera again, and it should spring out (we had cases on the forum where people messed up this part, just sayin').

One other thing you can try is updating the camera firmware to the latest one, as a firmware update can help with card compatibility.
Firmware update (make sure you have full battery, and use a trusted SD card that has worked well so far): Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
09-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy horse Quote
Hello, My Pentax will not read my PNY elite performance 256gb SD card. When I plug the SD card into the camera I get a 'Need to reformat' message. Does anyone else get anything like this? I am not sure what I need to change when I re-format. Thanks in advance!
Try formatting it in-camera, and make sure that your camera supports SDXC cards (i.e. was launched in 2010 or later).

Alternatively, try formatting the card on your computer and make sure the exFAT filesystem is being used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

One tip - I have seen cards refuse to be read unless I first read them from a Windows machine and then do an eject on the card. Maybe that will help you.