Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
shinya

Lens hood selection

Question. I am using older Pentax A lens, 50mm 1.7 and 35mm 2.8, on digital k-x camera. When selecting lens hoods will the old stock corresponding Pentax work OK? or will there be vignetting of image due to cropped sensor size? The 50mm translates to 75mm on APS C, no?, will the hood not be affected by this?

10-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The original lens hoods will work just fine.

The field of view of the lens stays the same, used on film, APS-C crop size sensor, or full frame sensor. So there will be no vignetting of the image if the original hood is used on the lens it was meant for.
10-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I wonder if the film era hoods are not narrow enough on the crop sensor bodies?
10-22-2015, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
The original lens hoods will work just fine.

The field of view of the lens stays the same, used on film, APS-C crop size sensor, or full frame sensor. So there will be no vignetting of the image if the original hood is used on the lens it was meant for.
True but the field of view you capture changes so you can get away with using tighter and longer hoods. I recently tested a 49mm Takumar hood designed for the 135 f/3.5 and 200mm f/5.6 on my F 50mm f/1.7 and found no noticeable vignetting - some minor vignetting may exist, but none I can detect. I would recommend hoods designed for the "equivalent focal length" rather than those as long as I am using as a shortcut to something a bit more effective than the original hood. The original hood however will work no worse than it ever did on film.

10-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a generic 49mm Telephoto lens hood on the FA 50/1.7. No vignetting and that lens has a recessed front element.
10-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
shinya

Thank you for quite a selection of input! I believe this requires some degree of experimentation, perhaps a hood that is of the "equivalent focal length" is a good bet. Somewhere between the original issue and equivalent focal length is maybe OK.
10-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I wonder if the film era hoods are not narrow enough on the crop sensor bodies?
On the wide end (say 35mm focal length and shorter), this is most definitely the case. They are adequate in that they shade the front element from oblique light the same as when used for 35mm film, but may benefit from a deeper hood on the cropped format.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I use a generic 49mm Telephoto lens hood on the FA 50/1.7. No vignetting and that lens has a recessed front element.
I do the same. The hood I use with my 50mm lenses is the generic round metal hood (telephoto) from Heavystar on eBay. The hood will also accept a 58mm pinch cap at its opening. I use the 49mm version on my M and A series 50/1.7, FA 77/1.8 Limited, and LZOS Jupiter-9 85/2. The 52mm version works well on my K 55/1.8 and DA 50/1.8.

New! Metal Tele 49mm Screw-in Lens Hood

(Not affiliated with heavystar or any other eBay merchant.)

Steve