11-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You see them??
11-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you mean is the DA 17-70 compatible on the upcoming full frame?
Answer is yes and no.
The DA 17-70 will mount on the FF, but it does not cover the FF image circle.
More than likely the FF will have a 'crop' mode using only an APS-C sized part of the sensor.
The DA 17-70 would be useable in a crop mode.
11-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
The equivalent to a 17-70 on fullframe would be something like a 24-105 like Canon and Sigma make. I think Pentax would be wise to make something like that for their fullframe too. That, and not a 24-70/2.8, might actually get me to buy the FF in the long run.

11-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC there is a proposed zoom lens in that general range on the 2015 lens roadmap. Given the existence of the 24-70 and the imminent release of the 70-200 both as f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, I expect this wide-to-telephoto beastie will probably be variable aperture, e.g. f/3.5-4.5 or maybe f/3.5-5.6. This should keep the size and weight down to an easily manageable level. I would expect WR as standard by now, and probably DC too if it doesn't increase the diameter and weight too much (remember all that technology has to fit in somewhere). If they decide that a truly compact prosumer zoom is the way to go, they may even elect to go with screw-drive as it would keep components out of the lens and enable further reductions in size and weight. This DOES have its advantages for some people.
11-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
IIRC there is a proposed zoom lens in that general range on the 2015 lens roadmap. Given the existence of the 24-70 and the imminent release of the 70-200 both as f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, I expect this wide-to-telephoto beastie will probably be variable aperture, e.g. f/3.5-4.5 or maybe f/3.5-5.6. This should keep the size and weight down to an easily manageable level. I would expect WR as standard by now, and probably DC too if it doesn't increase the diameter and weight too much (remember all that technology has to fit in somewhere). If they decide that a truly compact prosumer zoom is the way to go, they may even elect to go with screw-drive as it would keep components out of the lens and enable further reductions in size and weight. This DOES have its advantages for some people.
If it would be f/3.5-5.6 I would be far less inclined to buying it. A 24-105/4 however, would be equivalent (to me) to 16-70/2.8 on APS-C. That would combine the reach of the 17-70 and the total light gathering capability of the 16-50.

As for size concerns, I don't think fitting a DC micromotor in this lens would be a huge problem. SDM micromotors are very small as well. There's usually enough room at the back of the lens. (I've taken apart some of my lenses)
11-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
A 24-105/4 however, would be equivalent (to me) to 16-70/2.8 on APS-C
Constant f/4 would be a decent compromise. I suppose it depends which direction Ricoh want to go. Time will tell, I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
There's usually enough room at the back of the lens.
And it's notable that that's where the focus ring of the DA18-135 is; behind the zoom ring rather than in front of it as is classical. I shall await with interest to see what they actually do.
11-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
And it's notable that that's where the focus ring of the DA18-135 is; behind the zoom ring rather than in front of it as is classical. I shall await with interest to see what they actually do.
That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with where the motor is. I took apart my 16-50 not too long ago. The motor is at the back but the focus ring is at the front. The outer shell, with the electronics and the SDM motor are actually completely separate from the optics. The optics are inside an inner tube, with two metal pins of sorts sticking out of it. I could manipulate those pins with my fingers to change focus and zoom respectively. When assembling the lens, I had to be careful to align those pins with other pins that are connected to the rings on the shell. That is how zooming and focusing is achieved.

I think I actually prefer the focusing ring at the back btw.