Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
mzmony

Pentax K500 doest let enough light in to take a photp

My Pentax K500 started flashing yellow and black in the screen after taking a picture. It would take a movie outside fine, but still shots would not come out. I messed with settings and got 3 to take in a series of dozens in portrait mode. Finally i reset to defaults and the yellow/black flashing stopped, but it still will not take a picture indoors with lots of light and a flash. lens is 18-55 and the 50-200 doesnt work either, although i would expect less of that indoors. . Any ideas?

12-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See if the lens stops down properly while you're taking a photo. How much have you used the camera?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Set the aperture wide open using M mode and set the shutter speed to 1 second. Take in a brightly lighted area and point it so you can see into the lens. Does the lens stay wide open as expected or is the aperture closing down.

If the aperture closes down you may have the dreaded aperture control block problem which affects some k-30, k-500, and k-50 bodies. Sadly a trip to the Pentax repair facility is typically the only solution besides turning it into an m42 / manual aperture camera.

Of course if it stayed wide open then it could be a different issue. However since the problem is intermittent typically I would fire multiple test shots. Shutter speed can be faster as long as it is slow enough for you to catch any stopping down.

EDIT: See the next message also as the camera settings could be affecting your shots.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-21-2015 at 04:17 PM.
12-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
i reset to defaults and the yellow/black flashing stopped
I think this is just the camera showing you where the photo frame is useless (as in, completely dark black or completely bright white). Its an aid meant to help you so you don't overexpose or underexpose too much. You can disable this in the Menu, I think. Something to do with Live view.

Possible reasons why photo would be dark: a) EV is set to -3 or some other low value
b) You are using M mode and the settings are simply too dark. Make f-number lower, shutter speed set to a longer exposure, or higher ISO number.
c) You have bracketing enabled, so the camera takes one bright, one normal, and one dark photo.
d)Lens is damaged and stays at f22 or some other dark aperture value. This would be noticeable in video mode as well, probably. And its not likely if you have a new lens. I think this could also be caused by the lens not being mounted properly. It has to slide and click into place, and the camera has to recognize it (it will say lens ID in the exif, and options like CA correction will be available)
e) Shutter or mirror mechanism is damaged and doesn't move correctly. This is kind of unlikely.

I would suspect one of the first three. Try using another lens, see if the problem persists.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If the aperture closes down you may have the dreaded aperture control block problem which affects some k-30, k-500, and k-50 bodies
This might be it. I think there are some thread about this. Don't think the K-500 model commonly has this problem, but its not impossible. Anyway, check some threads about this issue to see if it applies to your situation