Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 04:20 AM   #1
Dion

swapping light meters from me to me super

my light meter in my me super is erratic...tells me either under or over but does not guess proper shutter speed for me...the meter in my me is working fine....are the meters identical and switchable? and, is it something that can be done with basic micro tools or will i need a bachelors degree and an ithopeter modulator (just kidding)

03-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In most cases this error is caused not by the meter itself, but by dirt and/or oxydation under the electrical contacts of the ISO setting ring (which itself is coupled mechanically to the +/-EV setting switch).
The ME Super is famous for that.

Somewhere on this forum (years ago) there were detailed explanations how to fix it (with pictures).
Maybe you can find one of these threads, but our search function is not very good for such tasks. I often have to refer to my collection of bookmarks, as search shows no (usable) results.
03-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're in the US it sounds like a job for Eric Hendrickson, who is the film-era Pentax repair guru. He (or whoever you send it to as appropriate to nation of origin) can also give the camera a general look-over, clean and make sure the light seals and mirror bumper are fine, etc. This may be advisable even if you can fix the meter issue yourself, as the ME super also has a known issue with its winder and he may be able to catch that before it becomes an issue.