Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Bazz1415

Flucard

I have a K5 and Iím considering upgrading to a K3 II to be able to control the camera remotely with my android phone via the O-FC1 flucard. I want to be able to remotely change shutter speed, aperture, etc (mainly for timelapse). Iím not really interested in transferring images.

For some reason Pentax have discontinued the O-FC1 Flucard. Just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to why?

Also, like to hear the experiences of anyone who is using the flucard to remotely change camera settings, whether or not for timelapse.

02-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama still has it on close out: Pentax 16GB Flucard SD Memory Card -OFC-1 38610

I do not know of course but I suspect going forward Pentax expects to have wifi on board so no need for this any longer. Maybe they assume anyone who wanted one for an older camera already has it?

I had one, briefly. Tested enough to prove it worked and then sold it on. So I cannot help you with how well it works or what it does.
02-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, the flucard is being phased out in favor of on board wi-fi. The latter is faster and more reliable.

If you want the flucard, I'd get it while it's still available

Alternatively, The K-S2 and the K-1 are the current models with built in wi-fi.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's our review of the flucard:

Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-28-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
Bazz 1415

Flucard

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I guess Pentax will have wi-fi built-in in future cameras.

But Iím still baffled as to why they have discontinued the flucard given that the K-3 and K-3II are still being sold by retailers (and maybe still in production?). This means anyone buying one of these cameras will miss out on this function. Not to mention anyone that already has one of these cameras and now wants to add this function.

Itís akin to selling an ďincompleteĒ camera.