Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
MikeDHolm

Pentax Optio S4i Blurry photos with small items, for example print

I have an older Pentax. It is an Optio S4i. I'm not sure why it will not zoom in and focus well on smaller items. Smaller items including print on items will be blurry in the photos. Is there something that I can do to get this camera to focus better on smaller items. It focuses well on larger items however when I need to zoom in and focus, I have the problem. Thanks for any help you can offer.

03-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a thought, but are you sure you are not too close? Most cameras have a minimum focusing distance, if you get closer than that they cannot focus.
03-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I used to own an Optio S4i, and I think the usage is the same as with my 2 Optio S5i cameras.

If AF is able to focus correctly, there will be a GREEN frame visible in the AF area on the display.
If not (too near or too dark), it may be RED (or no frame at all visible).

The Optio S5i (and, as far as I remember, the S4i) has several settings to handle focusing (set by repeatedly pressing the button left from the zooming "button)".
The options are: MF (AF disabled, setting distance using a numbered scale then visible on he screen), landscape AF, near and macro.
For close focus you have to use near or very near (=macro).
In standard (landscape) the autofocus will not focus much nearer than 70-80cm. But you will see that on the display, as no green frame will appear.