Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Evelina

Pentax K-30 aperture not responding

Hi, I've never had any problems with my pentax k-30 and I had it for more than 2years, however, out of nowhere the aperture stopped working. I have 18-55mm kit lens as well as 50mm 1.8f lens. Even if my aperture is set on f1.8 it shoots as its on f22. In the result I get pitch black images when shooting in sunlight, I can improve light using shutter speed and ISO but its not ideal, at first I thought the lens were faulty however, both of them seem to have the same problem. Therefore I think its the camera that's faulty, any ideas what it is or how to fix it?

03-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is unfortunately a well known issue with the K30 and K50; the aperture actuation system fails. Best advice is to send it in for repair. This will vary depending on where you are. I cannot give you any idea of cost, I am afraid.

The only other way to work around it is to get into old Takumar lenses (which requires an M42-K mount adapter), as they are independent of the aperture system on the camera.
03-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Evelina

Thanks for the answer, I kind of knew that Ill have to send it for repair, however had a little hope I could fix it myself. Thank you anyway
03-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
a5m
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm copy/pasting this from another thread regarding the same problem and a possible solution to it.

QuoteQuote:
Try what this forum member suggested to test whether or not it is the aperture control mechanism:

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums. This sort of problem has been reported in the past. Do this simple test to confirm that the aperture mechanism is functioning properly:
  • M mode using optical viewfinder (live view off)
  • Shutter speed at 3 seconds
  • Aperture at maximum for the lens mounted
  • While looking into the lens from the front press the shutter release
  • Confirm that the lens stays wide open during the exposure
If the lens stops down, there is a fault with the aperture actuator mechanism. This is repairable and is covered if the camera is still under warranty.

Steve

If it is the aperture control mechanism, try this to get it working:
  • Do burst shots by turning on Continuous Shooting so that the aperture changes every shot.
  • Make sure to turn off AE-L. Set the camera to JPEG just so that it's quicker.
  • Do this indoors with the light on. If using a prime, point the camera at the light, then away from it, then at it again, then away from it - point is to have the aperture change quickly and on every shot. It could be whole, half, or third f stops, as long as it changes to 3 different f stops (i.e. 2.8 to 3.2 to 4.0 to 3.5 to 2.8).
  • Or use a variable aperture zoom and set it to the widest aperture and quickly zoom in and out so the aperture changes quickly. Again try to have it change to at least 3 different f stops.
  • Lastly do this on a fully charged or almost full battery otherwise you will need to take more shots to get it working.

Doing this may wake up the aperture control mechanism and get it back to working normally. But this is temporary and it will stop working again, can be within a month, week, day, or even if you turn the camera off or don't use it for 10-15 minutes or so (might be sooner or later depending on the degree to which the aperture control mechanism is malfunctioning). I don't know if this trick would eventually stop working, but If your camera is out of warranty you'll still be able to use it.

03-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
is this a problem with all, or just a bad batch? Just got my K-30 and am loving it so far.
03-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

The cost of repair if it is indeed the aperture block was quoted to me as €220 in Germany by an official repair centre, which in all honesty is almost the same as replacing the body.
Although the part itself is not that expensive -around €30- the amount of work involved plus the necessity to realign and recalibrate the sensor with special tools/software makes this repair unfeasible.
You could sell for parts or as a manual body only.
03-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MotoMike Quote
is this a problem with all, or just a bad batch? Just got my K-30 and am loving it so far.
It seems to be a problem with the K-30 or K-50 especially, though not unique to them. The major issue would be what happened if it failed out-of-warranty. One of our younger members recently had his fail within the warranty period and hopefully it is off being fixed right now. Assuming you bought yours new, I'd say go on and enjoy it and deal with the problem when and if it occurs, hoping that it does so while making it right is still Ricoh's problem.

It's impossible to predict. For all I know, the sky may fall or you may wear out your shutter before this thing bothers you. If it does happen, then again, I hope you're in warranty at the time.
03-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It seems to be a problem with the K-30 or K-50 especially, though not unique to them. The major issue would be what happened if it failed out-of-warranty. One of our younger members recently had his fail within the warranty period and hopefully it is off being fixed right now. Assuming you bought yours new, I'd say go on and enjoy it and deal with the problem when and if it occurs, hoping that it does so while making it right is still Ricoh's problem.

It's impossible to predict. For all I know, the sky may fall or you may wear out your shutter before this thing bothers you. If it does happen, then again, I hope you're in warranty at the time.
Thanks PathDoc
I have 6 months remaining on the K-30 warranty. Here's to hoping the issue never raises its ugly head.

Mike

03-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

I bought two bodies with this problem shutter counts somewhere around 1300 and 1500, apart from this issue as good as new. Live view is working fine, movies, manual aperture lenses. I might keep one as a dedicated movie or macro rig.
03-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Borrelli Quote
I bought two bodies with this problem shutter counts somewhere around 1300 and 1500, apart from this issue as good as new. Live view is working fine, movies, manual aperture lenses. I might keep one as a dedicated movie or macro rig.
Which manual lenses, M42 only or M42 and other K mount lenses?
03-24-2016, 01:17 AM   #11

Any manual aperture ring lens still works from what I've tested. You can still use AF, just not the automatic aperture or it will stop down to darkness.
03-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put it in burst mode and fire away until it works cheers
03-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I was shooting a manual lens when my K-30 went down. So, the fix doesn't always work that way. Btw, I always shoot manual even on AF lenses.
06-11-2016, 02:05 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a known issue with this camera. You can find countless threads concerning this