Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
dinkydo

what works best

I am pretty new to actual photo taking but have been interested in exploring for awhile.I was given a bag full of lenses and a Pentax LXR 35mm film camera. I want to get a DSLR that I can use with the old lenses and have no idea where to start. I want to get the most range out of the lenses as possible but do have a smaller budget. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

03-20-2016, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax DSLRs will work with the full lineup of current and legacy K-mount lenses.

I'd recommend the K-S2 if you'd like a good balance of performance and value. The K-S2 has a great live view mode for precise manual focusing, when needed

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I want to get a DSLR that I can use with the old lenses and have no idea where to start.
K-50, K-S2, or if you want something a little more "out there", K-S1. The K-50 is a very traditional DSLR, but I don't know how available it still is in stores. The K-S1 has a little fewer features, but is still good. It looks really different, though. K-S2 is not as stylish as K-S1, but it doesn't look as traditional as K-50. Still, any of these are good to start with, just find one that fits in your hands well and you like how it looks.

All current Pentax DSLRs will let you mount K-mount lenses directly, without adapter. Of course, if the lens was made before AF was invented, then it won't ever be able to do AF. (though, with Pentax DSLRs you can use the Catch in focus function). So, depending how old your lenses are, you might get limited automation. You can still use them, they just won't be as "fast" to use as modern F, FA and DA and DFA lens series