Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
6x6x6

K-1: when is Square not 1:1?

I have read elsewhere on the forum that Adam has stated firmly that 1:1 format in Live View will not be available in the production model, however the official manual clearly shows Square 1 and Square 2 as available formats.

I would be guessing but that looks to me like FF 1:1 and APS-C crop 1:1; can anybody confirm this eithe way?

Personally 1:1 on Live View with a vari-angle screen is exactly what I was looking for, as close to recreating my beloved Mamiya C330f in digital as I am ever going to be able to afford.

04-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Those are part of the grid display options to help with composition. You can set the output ratio for video or JPEGs to 1:1.
04-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
When it refers to the grid display and not the aspect ratio for the frame.

Steve
04-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

There was a square crop mode shown in the viewfinder on some earlier firmware versions. This was removed on later versions. The manual indicates that several grid line options are available in Liveview including: 4x4, golden section, scale, square 1, square 2. I take this to mean these are only grid lines on the screen not a 1:1 aspect ratio.

04-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can set the output ratio for video or JPEGs to 1:1.
I know you can do this as an in-camera crop for still images, but how is it done as a setting or for movies?

Steve
04-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I would hazard the guess that Square 1 is a solid line square and Square 2 is brackets in the corners.
04-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think concrete answers to this question will only come once someone who has an actual K-1 responds to this thread, after checking on their camera.
And it cannot be a preproduction model, as things can and do change. Must be an actual camera from a store, with firmware 1.00 or higher.
Most DSLRs don't allow square jpeg output, but mirrorless cameras do. K-1 might be special case.
04-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My mistake, I was thinking of the in camera editing which can crop at 1:1 ratio.

04-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
6x6x6

Thanks for all the replies, I see now I misread that section of the manual; tbh I think its a shame they have removed the 1:1 option. It's in software ultimately so let's hope they restore it in a future update.

In fact I think Pentax have missed a trick here altogether: the LCD overlay in the viewfinder could have been used to provide different formats for composition, much like the 'panoramic' switch did on my old MZ-5n. Yes you can crop afterwards, but there is nothing like composing in the actual format, you have a different perspective and capture different pictures as a result. It would also be a genuine USP to set the camera apart from FF rivals, which the K-1 kind of lacks at present - the rear screen is a variation on an existing theme, and pixel-shifting is not that practical for hand-held work.

Here's hoping the K-1 II adds such a feature.
04-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Here's hoping the K-1 II adds such a feature.
I'm sure the viewfinder overlay will be expanded in the future. My hunch is that they got rid of the 1:1 crop option because the viewfinder currently lacks the corresponding frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

They probably ran out of space to put the electrical traces for objects on the screen. You have to provide traces for each one of the focus point indicators for example. Look at how complex it is on a printed circuit board to provide traces. It's even more so if you can have only one layer. Additional layers would affect light transmission.

If the crop was removed because of a lack of the frame on the overlay LCD it is unlikely to be restored until the overlay can support it. I don't imagine the LCD being user replaceable without a partial disassembly of the camera body.
04-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #12

Have seen evidence of others, including myself, who would like to have the originally suggested format options as well as additional choices available. Even if these are just composition aids. Hopefully as Pentax continues development they will find a means to overcome the present challenges that they encountered.
04-26-2016, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

I've been asking for this since the FF camera was first discussed. There's just no good reason for all the world's photos toe be restricted to the clunky, artless 2:3 format.
05-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Square 1 and Square 2 is for the square grid display in Live View. From an earlier thread: