Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
PentaWannabe

Really appreciate the details guys !! Yes as I read online the G lens for Sony look like they beat everything out there. But a7rII + 85mm + 24-70mm + 70-200mm will be around ~9k ouch !

I feel uneasy selling my sony system but I am not having any fun shooting with this body.

04-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #17
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaWannabe Quote
Really appreciate the details guys !! Yes as I read online the G lens for Sony look like they beat everything out there. But a7rII + 85mm + 24-70mm + 70-200mm will be around ~9k ouch !

I feel uneasy selling my sony system but I am not having any fun shooting with this body.
Well, nice Sony! But I love the colors I get from my Pentax.
I tried A7 for several times and found it a little bit "cold" against Pentax.
Just my personal opinion.
04-30-2016, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
How does the glass compare to other companies ? (Canikon, sony ...) in terms of sharpness ?
I am looking to switch from my a7rII to the K1 since the new glass of sony is quite expensive !!! (And I like the extra features of the K1).
Is it possible to achieve ultra sharp result with legacy Pentax lenses ? How about the 24-70 and 70-200 ? Are they the equivalent to the Nikon and Canon lineup ?
With the adaptors that are available for Sony FE mount, and a mirrorless camera with a nice short flange distance you can basically run just about any lens ever made on a Sony A7rII. You have IBIS, you have a EVF etc. So you can run old Contax lenses, Zeiss, Leica M and R lenses and Olympus OM lenses - all lens series very well regarded for their rendering and sharpness.

As others have said there are a good number of older film era Pentax lenses that are sharp, and still work well on modern cameras.

As suggestion - buy a Sony FE to K mount and FE to M42 adaptor for your A7 and then try out some Pentax and Takumar lenses and see what you think. If you still like Pentax glass and still want to swap, then sell your Sony gear.
04-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sound advice, Ross.

05-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #20

I totally understand, the pricing and ergonomics that's exactly why I didn't invest in the FE system, most A mount users either are holding unto their A mount bodies, or jumped ship to CaNikon, and the K-1 seems like a good one to jump to.

What Ross said above is another good option as well.
05-03-2016, 03:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I think all of these bodies are capable of producing great results. I would say that for me personally, I like the ergonomics and handling of Pentax gear better than the mirrorless gear I have handled. Maybe you could rent a K-1 to try it out and see if it fits with you. I wouldn't expect it to produce better photos than the Sony, but certainly if it isn't enjoyable to shoot with a given camera, you should consider other options.
05-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #22
PentaWannabe

I hear all your advices.
If I switch body it would definitely be a DSLR, and the few options I was looking for were the d810, canon 5dsr, d750, d500, K-3 II and finally the K-1.
But I think my choice is made toward the K-1.

05-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Sharp photos

An employee at a Costco photo lab says my images are among the sharpest he has ever seen. Part of the reason is turning off the AA filter simulator. I'm not sure if any other brand has this capability but I know most don't.
05-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #24
PentaxWannabe

True, but I keep in mind that if it is so standard to put an AA filter (I remember that being a selling point of my a7rII) it means the moire problems are something recurrent or difficult to fix in post. I do not know how the K-1 handle this but looking at a lot of picture online, I haven't seen this problem yet.
05-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxWannabe Quote
True, but I keep in mind that if it is so standard to put an AA filter (I remember that being a selling point of my a7rII) it means the moire problems are something recurrent or difficult to fix in post. I do not know how the K-1 handle this but looking at a lot of picture online, I haven't seen this problem yet.
Like the K-3, if you *think* moire will be a problem in your shot (maybe a fabric with a certain recurring pattern) you can turn on the AA filter simulator.

I never had to do that with my K-S1.

05-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I ran into some moire on fabric taken during a portrait shoot taken with the k5iis - I didn't notice until the session was over and I had uploaded the pics. Lightroom did a remarkable job removing it. I'll be more careful in the future, but in the 10's of thousands of photos I've taken with this or the the k3, this the first time I had run across obvious moire in my photos.
05-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #27
PentaxWannabe

That's so nice to hear !
Thanks guys !!
05-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxWannabe Quote
Hi everyone !
I have a question for all the long time Pentax users.

How does the glass compare to other companies ? (Canikon, sony ...) in terms of sharpness ?
I am looking to switch from my a7rII to the K1 since the new glass of sony is quite expensive !!! (And I like the extra features of the K1).
Is it possible to achieve ultra sharp result with legacy Pentax lenses ?
In fact, there's a lot more to a lens than just how sharp it is.

There is the matter of how the lens "renders" an image. And people talk about the "character" of a lens.

I use mainly DA Limited and FA Limited lenses. Both work on K-1 (DA Limited in 15MP crop mode).

Well, they're certainly sharp, alright - very, very sharp! No worries about that.

But when it comes to the beautiful, special way they render the images, that is where the real MAGIC is. It has to be seen to be appreciated, pointless to look for it in test measurement results.

Once you appreciate it, you'll understand why Pentax fans treasure Pentax glass.....

Last edited by KDAFA; 05-04-2016 at 06:17 AM.
05-04-2016, 03:23 AM   #29
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Once you appreciate it, you'll understand why Pentax fans treasure Pentax glass.....
+1 on that one
05-05-2016, 01:37 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
In fact, there's a lot more to a lens than just how sharp it is.

There is the matter of how the lens "renders" an image. And people talk about the "character" of a lens.

I use mainly DA Limited and FA Limited lenses. Both work on K-1 (DA Limited in 15MP crop mode).

Well, they're certainly sharp, alright - very, very sharp! No worries about that.

But when it comes to the beautiful, special way they render the images, that is where the real MAGIC is. It has to be seen to be appreciated, pointless to look for it in test measurement results.

+1

In fact, I found smaller brand like Pentax and Minolta(Sony) often makes more special lenses that gives a more interesting rendering than Canon and Nikon does- not saying they don't have lenses that give you the "feel" but they have less.

Coming to the OP, and continuing to what Ross suggested, with what I have mentioned above (and coming from someone who also had an A7II, didn't like the adaptor experience) you should ask your self how well can you live with your A7RII using adapted lenses to shoot what you want to shoot? Is fast AF important? Is the rendering of the images important? What are your priority when it comes to taking photos.

The reason I ask this is, Canon and Nikon have excellent DSLRs that does the bread and butter stuff well, that can take actions and reportage shots, plenty of 3rd party lenses, lighting accessories and parts support, lots of lenses to choose from, vast numbers in second hand market with good price waiting for you to grab. When it comes to Sony(and Minolta) and Pentax, it is more about the feel of the image, both systems traditionally are not as good compared to Canon and Nikon for faster action, reportage shooting and 3rd party support. However, this may change since the K-1 and 3 new f2.8 DFA/DFA* zooms for the Pentax side and we can see Sony is improve in this area vastly( just look at the A6300 and growing 3rd party support).

Sometimes have a main system to shoot the bread and butter stuff and worry less about gear and also having a side kick system to enjoy taking photos works well, I do that, and I know a few Sony users does that, but it is not cheap. However, if one system does well in both, then why not just get one ( Thus I understand why you are looking at the K-1)?

The A7RII might not be your most enjoyable camera ergonomics wise, but with the right lens it might be enjoyable from the images it produce and you don't always have to get the expensive G Masters, then again you can sell it also and use the money you get to invest in another system. I guess you just have to make a list on what you want, what your needs are, what's your budget and what are the available options in the market and how are the camera models in each system tick or un-tick your boxes from what you need.