Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
chris bruce

pentax istD firmware update?

When it says update firmware so you can use a sdhc card - will the regular SD cards still work? Is this firmware update and update to my camera or the sdhc card?

05-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware updates are to your camera, and I would think you could still use SD cards, I've never heard of an update that would disable something like that without telling you first.
05-15-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been a while, but I'm sure that my istD used Compact Flash cards, not SD.

davek
05-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The *istD uses Compact Flash (CF) memory cards, not SD cards. The subsequent models (*istDL, DS etc) use SD cards. The last firmware update for the *istD was 1.12. Don't try to install an update for the wrong model.

05-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Update

QuoteOriginally posted by chris bruce Quote
When it says update firmware so you can use a sdhc card - will the regular SD cards still work? Is this firmware update and update to my camera or the sdhc card?
I did it, it works with all smaller Cards too
05-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Firmware updates can be carried out with any memory card that the camera supports.

Older models added SDHC or SDXC support via firmware, in which case you need to use an SD or SDHC card, respectively.

But yeah, the ist D uses compact flash cards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chris bruce Quote
SDHC is an added spec - it does not remove the SD capability. I had an *ist DS that I had to do this to - luckily I had a 1GB card to do it from and it worked great.
05-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Firmware updates can be carried out with any memory card that the camera supports.

Older models added SDHC or SDXC support via firmware, in which case you need to use an SD or SDHC card, respectively.

But yeah, the ist D uses compact flash cards.
Agree. Probably Bruce has an istDs, as I do.

05-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

So, to sum up:
a) Make sure you get the firmware update for exactly the right camera model that you have. Also, be careful of the language, so you don't update into a language that you don't understand (has happened before, I think)
b) Firmware update only expands compatibility. It does not remove regular SD card compatibility, those will work just as well. It only adds SD HC, SD XC or whatever they are called.

There are many tutorial threads, even a PF front page article and youtube video about how to carry out a firmware update. Make sure you use a fully charged, reliable battery. Good luck