Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Miyo S.

Pentax Q-S1 with Fotodiox mount dapter and Pentax 18-55 lens

Hi, I'm a beginner in digital photography.
I have a Pentax Q-S1 that I love and use all the time but I wanted a better lens so I can take better pictures with more zoom. (sorry if im not using the right terms) So I bought the Fotodiox mount adapter so I can use more wider range of lenses. My friend let me borrow his Pentax 18-55 lens so I tried it on. The blurriness was awful and it wouldn't let me auto-focus even tho the lens had an auto-focus feature, according to my friend. Even if I managed to focus manually, when I took the photo it got all blurry. We looked at all the settings on the Pentax Q-S1 camera but couldn't fix the problem. Is there a setting so that I can use the Pentax 18-55 lens or any kind of other lenses well on my Q-s1? Or did I just buy a bad mount adapter...

Sorry if my description wasn't very clear. If there is anyone who has a Pentax Q series who have tried anything similar, please comment how yours worked out! it would be a REALLY big help. Thank you!

05-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try an adapter like this: Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses 39977 B&H Photo Video#!
05-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Q can't autofocus with K mount lenses, and due to the extreme crop factor most lenses don't stand up optically. Sorry :/
05-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I take it you are shooting hand held. I would try putting the camera on a hard surface or on the tripod and see if that fixes the issue.

05-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Only Pentax Q type lenses autofocus on any of the Q models. The 06 telephoto may be what you are looking for.
05-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Miyo S. Quote
Hi, I'm a beginner in digital photography.
I have a Pentax Q-S1 that I love and use all the time but I wanted a better lens so I can take better pictures with more zoom. (sorry if im not using the right terms) So I bought the Fotodiox mount adapter so I can use more wider range of lenses. My friend let me borrow his Pentax 18-55 lens so I tried it on. The blurriness was awful and it wouldn't let me auto-focus even tho the lens had an auto-focus feature, according to my friend. Even if I managed to focus manually, when I took the photo it got all blurry. We looked at all the settings on the Pentax Q-S1 camera but couldn't fix the problem. Is there a setting so that I can use the Pentax 18-55 lens or any kind of other lenses well on my Q-s1? Or did I just buy a bad mount adapter...

Sorry if my description wasn't very clear. If there is anyone who has a Pentax Q series who have tried anything similar, please comment how yours worked out! it would be a REALLY big help. Thank you!
I wouldn't blame the adapter, unless it doesn't have an aperture ring. The 18-55mm is pretty soft wide-open, so you'll want to stop it down by at least a couple of stops to get decent results on the Q.

You will have to focus manually regardless of the adapter.

Adapting a prime lens should yield better results as far as sharpness goes, generally speaking

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have this adapte and it works fine. However, there's a few caveat when using K mount lenses (or any other adapted lenses):

1) Manual focus only
2) You can only control aperture if the lens has an aperture ring
3) If the aperture is smaller than f8, you will see IQ degradation due to diffraction
4) Tripod will help a lot!

As others said, instead of using the 18-55, it makes much more sense to use the Q06 15-45...
05-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I really enjoy the Q system cameras. I use the fotodiox adapter but I think you would be better off with an 06 lens which is a very nice lens giving excellent picture quality. When a K lens is attached to the Q I found it hard without a tripod. I have used my M120 lens with great success on my Q7 but with crop factor of 5x its like hand holding a 600mm lens, not easy.
Borrow your friends camera and see if that's what you would be better off with, and have both systems like a lot of us do. or a used K5 ?
I have 01,02,06 and 08 in my kit.