Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Jake Schmidt

Super Program Wind Lever Stuck, LCD out, Shutter Closed

I just picked up a Super Program from a local thrift joint but ran into some issues after shooting my first roll. After rewinding the roll and removing it, my rewind button was stuck. I managed to solve this issue but still having some trouble.

Now, the wind lever just turns freely although both spools internally seem to be engaged. Maybe a loose connection? Accompanying the loose lever the shutter remains closed in the back and the LCD display is out in both the view finder and the top screen.

Any Ideas? I have a local repair shop nearby but I figured I'd see if anyone had a solution before bringing it in.

06-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jake Schmidt Quote
I just picked up a Super Program from a local thrift joint but ran into some issues after shooting my first roll. After rewinding the roll and removing it, my rewind button was stuck. I managed to solve this issue but still having some trouble.

Now, the wind lever just turns freely although both spools internally seem to be engaged. Maybe a loose connection? Accompanying the loose lever the shutter remains closed in the back and the LCD display is out in both the view finder and the top screen.

Any Ideas? I have a local repair shop nearby but I figured I'd see if anyone had a solution before bringing it in.
I can share with you my own experiences with that Pentax body. The same issues arose with mine. I was advised that it would cost $49.00 just to open the body and if it was the worn gear that caused the problem with the film advance lever, it could run as high as $150.00 total, if that was the only problem. So, it was plain to me that I should turn it over for recycling and that is what I did. Parts for old film cameras are very difficult to find and the cost of labor only increases. Well, I hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio
06-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you know how to strip them down and take them apart, the repair shop is your first, best option. Ask them what it will cost. If it's more than you paid for the camera, seriously consider just buying another. At least if it goes to the repair shop for parts, it will not be wasted.
06-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jake Schmidt Quote

It sounds like the rewind pin is probably stuck in the up position.
This is going to sound like a crazy thing to do, but grab the camera by the lens and smack the bottom of the body HARD into the palm of your hand.

06-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It sounds like the rewind pin is probably stuck in the up position.
This is going to sound like a crazy thing to do, but grab the camera by the lens and smack the bottom of the body HARD into the palm of your hand.
I agree with you because I had that issue as well. What happened was the spring that pushes the button out had no more spring to it. I watched the technician work on it for about 15 minutes once he removed the bottom plate on my Spotmatic F. Because I was a valued customer there was no charge. I bought something anyway, I believe it was batteries. It pays to keep up relations.

Hope this helps.

Antonio