06-19-2016, 04:03 AM   #1
bill berkhuizen

photos not recording in color

photos recording in monochrome magenta not color, live view ok

06-19-2016, 04:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera? Check your custom image settings an select something other than monochrome

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2016, 04:31 AM   #3
bill berkhuizen

no color

Cmera is a Pentax KX which i have had for a while is not custom setting problem i returned it to default
06-19-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome! Maybe you can write full sentences, with punctuation and everything, so we can understand what exactly you have done and what the problem is? If you cannot find the time to write full sentences, why should we take the time to think about them and answer them with long form sentences?

On Pentax K-x you press Info, then the menu pops up. In the top row you have Custom image, Digital filters and some other such options. Check the settings on those, as they can change your jpegs to BW or Sepia or Toy-camera or others. Choosing Bright or Film reversal, and disabling digital filters and Cross processing should give you normal, color results.

If you shoot RAW and use something like Photoshop, Lightroom, SilkyPix or another program, then check the Default settings in that program. It is possible that those automatically convert your photos to BW. But this is a smaller possibility, and generally only applies if you shoot in raw format (pef, dng) instead of jpeg.

Edit: If this doesn't help, you should post some sample photos so that we can see what exactly is happening. We can help you further in that case. It might be sensor problems or SD card corruption, but it would be more than just black and white - it would be all kinds of corruption. You can try using another SD card, see if that solves the problem. (Edit: If you buy a new SD HC or SD XC card, the K-x might not support it. Back when the K-x was released, there were just "SD" cards, not HC or XC. There might be a firmware update to add support, but you still need a normal SD card to apply that update)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-19-2016 at 06:23 AM.
06-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Just so you know, a KX is a film camera, if your camera is a DSLR, it's a K-x.
06-19-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Back when the K-x was released, there were just "SD" cards, not HC
Incorrect. The K-x could use SDHC cards but not the SDXC without a firmware update.

QuoteQuote:
From the data base on Pentax Forums DSLR entry and my user manual,: SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update
06-21-2016, 05:13 AM   #7
bill berkhuizen

no color

To reiterate my problems, my camera is an earlier Digital DSLR Pentax model as correctly posted before on this thread it is model K-x which i have owned since late 2011. It has on several occasions reverted to recording to the (SDHC) card in monochrome (a sepia color) without changing settings. The first time, (about a year ago) i posted a thread where one viewer correctly identified a problem with card connection.
Thus upon clean the edge connectors on the card it worked perfect until recently where all of a sudden the same thing happened, and no cleaning or setting alterations,( including placing settings back to factory default) worked. I left the camera for some days and tonight switched it on again only to find it working perfectly in color again! Researching back to previous photos i discovered that i inadvertently had aimed and aimed at my ceiling lights and taken a shot. The monochrome effect happened after that. I tried the same trick again and lo and behold the same effect happened instead of full color shots they reverted to sepia again. so far no luck in changing it i am going to get another SDHC card to see if it fixes the problem. Will keep you all posted.
06-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Do you have the latest firmware update?

06-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
mee
Site Supporter

If cleaning the contacts resolved the issue temporarily it seems more along the lines of either an issue with the SD card or with the SD card interface in the camera. Possibly with another part failing. That is an old camera (6 or 7 years old).. they don't last like the film bodies did.