Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Richard Bradley

M42 Do I need one

Hi everyone
I have a Pentax K 200 d I'm looking to buy a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 MF Lens For PENTAX/RICOH
on E-bay do i need an adapter to connect them ?

Thank You
Richard

07-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Richard.

Yes, you will need an adapter, if that's an M42 lens.There are two types - one sits flush and gives infinity focus, the other has a flange and does not allow infinity focus. The flush one can be problematic to remove, as the little screw and spring clip can catch on the cheap e-bay ones. The genuine Pentax ones don't seem to present this problem. I use the cheap adapters myself - and remove the spring and screw before use.

Are you sure it's not K-mount though? Vivitar Series 1 lenses were available in K-mount. If, of course, it is K-mount, then you will not need an adapter.

Kind regards,
Mark
07-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Richard.

Yes, you will need an adapter, if that's an M42 lens.There are two types - one sits flush and gives infinity focus, the other has a flange and does not allow infinity focus. The flush one can be problematic to remove, as the little screw and spring clip can catch on the cheap e-bay ones. The genuine Pentax ones don't seem to present this problem. I use the cheap adapters myself - and remove the spring and screw before use.

Are you sure it's not K-mount though? Vivitar Series 1 lenses were available in K-mount. If, of course, it is K-mount, then you will not need an adapter.

Kind regards,
Mark
Thanks
I believe it is a K mount.
Richard
07-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drogheda99 Quote
Thanks
I believe it is a K mount.
Richard
That's all good then. No adapter needed.

07-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If theres a picture of the mount its easy to tell. M42 are simple screw just like a jar.
07-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe you have a picture of the lens mount, or you can look at it in person? If it is just a metal screw, then it is m42 and needs adapter. If it is a K-mount bayonet, then you will not need adapter. The K-mount bayonet should look very similar to the K-mount of your other lenses that work on K200D.

Is this the lens? Vivitar Series 1 (Komine) 28-90mm F2.8-3.5 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Apparently this lens comes in different mounts, so make sure the specific one you are buying is K-mount. If it is m42, you need adapter. Again, I suggest you look at it.
07-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the lens ad correctly describes it as a "Pentax/Ricoh" mount and it is a K-mount (Ricoh earlier used the M42 mount, too), it could be the version of the K-mount that includes the "Ricoh pin." If so, and depending on the shape of the end of the pin, it might catch in the AF screwdrive hole on a Pentax dslr lens mount. It is easy to remove the pin (which has no purpose if not connected to certain Ricoh film slrs), and a simple search here at the forum will lead to instructions on how to do it. I have a Vivitar Series 1 zoom that a version of the Ricoh pin that did NOT catch in my dslr mount, but I removed it anyway. I think KR indicates the Ricoh version of the K-mount and PK indicates the straight Pentax version, but I'm not sure that is true in all cases.

07-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you want, you can post a photo of the lens mount here and we will identify it for you