Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Penrosa

K1, lenses and lens correction

Dear all,

I'm considering buying the K1 (as a Pentax newbie), but my decision depends on the choice of lenses. I'm really happy using film-era glass, in fact often prefer MF primes to modern zooms.

I've read the guides to lens compatibility and it seems to be crucial whether I mind if lens corrections are supported by legacy and third party lenses.

Trouble is, I'm not 100% sure what it would mean in practice if lens corrections are not supported. Will I notice a huge difference?

08-06-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not really, in my opinion. No 'lens corrections' when you shoot film.
So in short the lenses will work just as always.
What you do not have are automatic corrections that might be available for modern lenses. Whether you actually need or want those 'corrections ' is a personal choice.
08-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Penrosa Quote
Dear all,

I'm considering buying the K1 (as a Pentax newbie), but my decision depends on the choice of lenses. I'm really happy using film-era glass, in fact often prefer MF primes to modern zooms.

I've read the guides to lens compatibility and it seems to be crucial whether I mind if lens corrections are supported by legacy and third party lenses.

Trouble is, I'm not 100% sure what it would mean in practice if lens corrections are not supported. Will I notice a huge difference?
In-camera lens corrections only apply to JPEG files and are only supported for DA, D FA, FA*, FA Limited, and handful of FA primes. Since you'll probably be shooting RAW most of the time, you'll be able to apply corrections using the raw converter of your choice (adobe camera raw lets you correct vignetting, distortion, and aberrations), so this shouldn't be a problem

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Penrosa

Thanks both so much, and yes I'll be shooting RAW predominantly...
Decision made.

08-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Penrosa Quote
Thanks both so much, and yes I'll be shooting RAW predominantly...
Decision made.
If you are using predominately MF Pentax lenses The K1 is excellent as long as you are using PKA mount lenses anything else can not communicate with the camera and have to be shot with (IMHO), an annoying process.