Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
michael sandquist

pentax smc k mount lens not stopping down on the K1 body if I turn the aperture ring

I am trying to use a beautiful pentax k mount 30mm f2.8 lens on my K1 but I'm stuck wide open at f2.8 when I shoot and it won't stop down if the lens is mounted on the K1.

08-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by michael sandquist Quote
I am trying to use a beautiful pentax k mount 30mm f2.8 lens on my K1 but I'm stuck wide open at f2.8 when I shoot and it won't stop down if the lens is mounted on the K1.
It should only stop down at the time of image capture. Otherwise, the aperture will remain wide-open, even when the aperture ring is turned (this is normal).

Follow these steps to correctly meter in M mode:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Use the DOF preview button to test the aperture stop down is working, it's on the shutter button turn it to the right on the K3.
08-07-2016, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Use the DOF preview button to test the aperture stop down is working, it's on the shutter button turn it to the right on the K3.
it operates the same way on K-1 as it does on K-3.

When DoF preview is set to Optical Preview in Camera | 5 | Preview Dial, pull the DoF preview lever (the On/Off ring surrounding the shutter release button) to the right and hold. The camera will stop down the lens and you can observe the DoF through the viewfinder.

This action will also meter the scene. I sometimes prefer metering with the DoF Preview lever rather than the Green Button using a manual lens since I use the AF button on the back of the body rather than half-press; I would need to move my thumb to GB meter. I press the AF button to obtain focus confirmation, then trim focus if necessary.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-07-2016 at 02:42 PM.