Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Dianne33

Pentax K 30

I have a macro zoom lens SMC 1:3.5 to 4.5 70 mm fitted to my camera A pentax K30 and I am trying to take photos, but getting a flashing F in the screen when trying to take the photos, somebody know why this is happening and how to fix the problem. I am new to photography and tthis camera.

08-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dianne33 Quote
I have a macro zoom lens SMC 1:3.5 to 4.5 70 mm fitted to my camera A pentax K30 and I am trying to take photos, but getting a flashing F in the screen when trying to take the photos, somebody know why this is happening and how to fix the problem. I am new to photography and tthis camera.
If your lens is a manual lens, (no auto-focus) you will not get the f/stop information in the viewfinder. Make sure that all your camera settings are on manual and try again. If you have a separate flash unit, try it with that and see what happens. Please be sure to set your shutter speed to M for manual. I am not familiar with the lens you have referred, however if it has a green A on the F ring, you may have to release the green A and try the lens at the lowest number and work toward a photograph that you are happy with. Hope this helps. Good luck. Oh, you can also try shutter speeds of TV or AV (aperture value). I usually shoot mainly flowers, so I use TV and a shutter speed of 250 because I have to contend with breezes.

Antonio

Last edited by Tonytee; 08-31-2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Additional Information
08-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Set the aperture ring to A if it's an A-series lens. Otherwise, see here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the lens you have is the SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5... does it say this on the side of the lens barrel? If not, what exactly does it say (this will help us identify the model).

Towards the back of the lens, near the part that fits to the camera, there should be a ring with numbers on, something like "22 16 11 8 5.6 3.5". There may also be a letter "A". If there is, you need to rotate that ring until the letter "A" aligns with the little mark. To allow this, there will be a small push-button on the ring that has to be held down as you rotate it. This will place the lens in auto-aperture mode, and you should then be able to select the required lens aperture using the camera controls.

Try this first, and let us know how you get on?

08-31-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

Hi Dianne33.

If your lens is the Pentax-F autofocus zoom or the Pentax-A non-autofocus equivalent both with aperture rings, then there are two things to check. First, that the aperture ring is set to the green A setting, and second that Custom menu 4, option 23 is set to enable use of the aperture ring.

The camera should meter normally in all modes on the A setting, and the custom setting should allow metering using the green button on the other aperture settings. You can then also use older non-A lenses by metering with the green button.

Edit - Oops, lots of cross-posting here! 😄
08-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I am always impressed with everyone's willingness to be of assistance. Happy to be here.

Rgds,

Antonio