Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Asher

Pentax ZX-M Won't Stop Rewinding?

I have a Pentax ZX-M that I got second hand. I put in new batteries and some new film, and it lets me take one picture before it starts rewinding the whole roll of film. I love the camera and I want to try and use it but I'm new to photography and using cameras and I'm not sure how to fix this issue.

09-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Mine did the same thing, instant rewind after frame one. Also my MZ-50 did a spontaneous rewind near the end of a 36 roll. I have heard of several cases of this happening with the whole MZ/ZX series. What I haven't heard is a solution. I must be something to do with the adjustment of the film-tension sensor.
09-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
For those still using these cameras, here is an old thread by Felix 68. At the bottom is a link to a parts diagram.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/26890-pentax...thumbs-up.html
09-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you try disabling the auto film rewind? It is F13 set to 2 (MZ-S manual page119).

Sorry--I mistook your model for MZ-S, but maybe there is a similar flag/setting. No, appears not to be the case.

Last edited by dms; 09-04-2016 at 07:54 PM.
09-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ricoh no longer sells parts to end users - only Business to Business to authorized camera repair businesses. This has been the policy for 3-4 years now.

The flaw with most of the ZX/MZ series is the plastic gears used on the motors which crack or split eventually. The usual symptom is mirror lock up and the motor running continuously as long as power is on. Depending on what cycle the camera was in when the gear broke or starting slipping it could also continuously rewind or in the case of my ZX-50 load the film.

Pentax solution was to replace the motor with a metal gear. Up until a year or 18 months ago the replacement motor was still available but existing supplies appear to have dried up. US Camera had a few in stock but they are long gone. You might find one on eBay.

There are a few threads on this problem which gives the specifications for the gear in question and a part number from a firm in Germany that sells a suitable gear.

Stripping down these cameras to replace the motor and/or gear is not a trivial task

Mirror motor (no longer available)
Genuine Pentax Mirror Motor Gear Assembly ZX10 ZX30 ZXM ZX5 ZX5n Replacement Spare Repair Part | 27250-s250 | uscamera.com

Transport motor (in stock)
Genuine Pentax Film Transport Motor Gear Assembly ZX10 ZX30 ZXM ZX5 ZX5n Replacement Spare Repair Part | 27250-s250 | uscamera.com
09-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual rewind cameras don't have that problem. You choose when and how far to rewind. Saves batteries and weight as well.