Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
Mark 2112

K-7 Memory Cards - Largest Size that can be used - Firmware update?

I just got a New K-7... (well New to me, and only 1400 Shutter Clicks.)
- I can Not find Any info Anywhere about the Largest Size Card in GB I can use in this Camera.
Not in the Maunal, Not at the Ricoh Website, and Not here either... been searching threads for Hours...

Seems to me this should be on the second page of the Manual, but Not there... Only info you get is How Many Images you can store on a 4gb SD card.
(Please tell me I can use something Larger than a 4gb SD card)

Do I need a Firmware Update to use Larger SD Cards? - - (Firmware on this K-7 Camera has Not been updated)

I also read a thread here about some guy Killing his K-7 with a Firmware update... Anything I need to know?

Any Help would be Great, Thanks

09-27-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With firmware version 1.11 or newer, the K-7 can use any SDXC, SDHC, or SD card. The largest SDXC card currently on the market has a capacity of 512Gb, but the standard has a theoretical maximum of 2048Gb (2Tb), and such cards will work with the K-7 once they are released.

Prior to firmware version 1.10, you could only use SDHC and SD cards. SDHC cards go up to 32Gb and one would be needed to perform the update.

Given the K-7's 14-megapixel resolution, I'd say you'd be fine using a 32Gb or 64Gb card. A high-performance 32Gb SDHC card only runs about $15 these days, so that'll be your best value.

See also:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mark. There are some threads on the forums that say the K-7 will need a firmware update to take bigger storage cards. As far as killing a camera with an update, the damage is usually done by not having a fully charged battery, or turning off the camera before the update is complete. Here is a link for you about Pentax firmware updates. Good luck.

09-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use 32GB max - that's more than enough to lose when it goes bad.