Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
patrickhenryhague

Sell or trade a K-50 for a K-S2

I've another question for the group, should I trade or sell my K-50 with less than 2500 exposures for a K-S2? The thing that interests me the most is the articulating rear screen, I'm old and don't bent well anymore, of course the increase to 20mg. is nice and the WiFi could be useful also. Also, anyone have "ANY IDEA" how much more I should pay?

10-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S2 is a nice upgrade in my opinion. Considering the new price of the K-S2 ($529) and the used value of your camera (around $200), I'd say around $200 would be a fair trade-up for a used K-S2, or $300 for a new one. You'll probably get the most for your K-50 by selling it privately rather than trading it in to a retailer. For example, you could list it on the Marketplace here, or sell it locally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do it
I have both and there is a noticeable difference in image quality out of the K-S2. Less high ISO noise. The flip screen is great, I'm older also and the screen saves the knees.
10-05-2016, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Going from a K-50 to a K-S2? Not sure it's worth it as much as the leap to a K-70. Sure the K-70 would cost more, but the camera body new is ~650.00. I'd skipped over the K-S1 and K-S2 as it was a much less incremental upgrade over my K-50. The K-70 was a much larger incremental upgrade.

The benefits you'll see are:

* 24M sensor versus 20M sensor of K-S2
* Fantastic ISO range with very low noise (due to new companion "accelerator" chip partnered with Prime MII processor) See details on the new chip here Features2 | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING Prime MII was also in the K-S2, but the accelerator is new to the K-70. Comparison examples show the noise is lower even compared to the K3 II.
* Pixel Shift - I've taken portrait pictures with this feature and had it work so if the subject is slow enough it works for more than just "landscape".
* AF-C in Video (not that it's much of an improvement but the ability to continuously focus in video is a step up over any other Pentax).
* Hybrid AF in Liveview and Video. Still has Pentax limitations compared to some, but it's a marked improvement over the K-50, far less hunting for focus in LV.
* Slightly more conservative body design (no orange plate).

If you save your self several hundred, it's one thing, but I do think those advancements are worth the pricing difference.

Last edited by SeaRefractor; 10-05-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
10-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

^ I'm with him. I'd also skip the K-S2 & go straight for the K-70. There is a larger difference in image quality & you're getting 14bit RAW files. The K-70 is packing a lot of newer tech too.