Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Derek Hutchinson

Downloading images from Pentax Kr into "My Pictures" on the computer?

I like my Pentax Kr camera very much but downloading my images into "My Pictures" on the computer does not seem to have been thought about. All I want to do is download all my images into "My Images" as I do with my Canon camera and then edit selscted images in Adobe Elements and Lightroom. (I do not use the Pentax software). The only way to get images into "My Pictures" (and being able to select which ones) seems to be to put them into Lightroom first. Unfortunately, this results in virtually everything I take going into Lightroom which is far from ideal. As downloading into "My Pictures" is not given as an option is there a better way of doing this procedure?

11-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect you're not using the software to the best of its ability. What OS are you running? This has little to do with the Kr. Be glad to help if you offer more info.

What version of O/S
Are you connecting via cable or inserting SD to card reader on PC.

For example, you can change the default behavior in Win 10 to automate activities.

That being said, Lightroom can be used to Copy to the desired folder at the same time as adding to catalogue (my perferred method).
11-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you connect your camera to the PC (or plug the card into an SD slot on the PC), the card/camera should show as a drive letter in Windows explorer (or other file management utility eg free commander), or in a photos utility like Faststone (wot I use), Picasa. Click on the drive letter to see the sub folders - these typically have numerical names inc date. Click on a subfolder to see images. These can now be "drag and dropped"/selected and copied etc wherever you want.
Faststone is good because you see the pics straight away. i do my first selects straight off the card - deleting the "junk".

Screenshot from faststone:
Attached Images

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-12-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: update pic
11-12-2016, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are using Lightroom that would be my preferred method of putting your images where you want them. Some people prefer to do this manually and then import to Lightroom and of course that is personal preference but for me using a Lightroom workflow makes the most sense.

My workflow is to set up a Lightroom import preset that copies the images into the directory I store them in. My import also creates new directories as needed because I save images in a separate directory by date but of course you do not need to do that. I then run through the import in Lightroom and hit the black reject mark on all images I do not want, when finished I just "Delete Rejected Images". This does seem as if it would take longer but the alternative is choosing the images you want on the camera screen which I find to be much harder and to actually take longer. And problematic as sometimes an image that looks OK on the camera screen is not so good on the computer.
Once I have the images I want, and they have been backed up to the external backup drive I format the SD card in the camera. I rotate through 4 SD cards so in most cases there is a week or so between using a card and formating it for the next use, so this provides some safety margin if I find I really need an image I already deleted.

11-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did your Canon come with Zoom Browser software? (And, is that what you are using to put your Canon pictures into My Pictures?)

I use Zoom Browser from an old Canon to download my Pentax pictures (from all the cameras I've had - from K100D to K1). It is my favorite quick way to get pictures onto the computer.

I find it helps to distinguish which camera files came from to add the camera name to the file name, which could be done for at least the K5, K3, and K1.
11-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just take the whole card out and put it your computer, Derek.

If your computer doesn't have an inbuilt reader, USB ones are cheap.
11-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Derek Hutchinson

Mr.

Many thanks for your responses to my question. I use Windows 10 and a USB card reader (SD slot). I have come to the conclusion that I should continue using Lightroom to download but to get better organised by using presets. From speaking to a number of friends it would seem that Pentax cameras are the only ones where downloading directly into "My Pictures" is a problem which is strange.
Thanks again,
Derek
11-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Hutchinson Quote
Many thanks for your responses to my question. I use Windows 10 and a USB card reader (SD slot). I have come to the conclusion that I should continue using Lightroom to download but to get better organised by using presets. From speaking to a number of friends it would seem that Pentax cameras are the only ones where downloading directly into "My Pictures" is a problem which is strange.
Thanks again,
Derek
All cameras interact with USB in a similar way, Derek.

Many of us just want the camera to mount as a directory that can be browsed and files changed at will.

But you can put it into the mode where the OS runs a wizard on it if you like:

Saving Images On Your Computer; Setting The Usb Connection Mode - Pentax K-r Operating Manual [Page 295]

Last edited by clackers; 11-17-2016 at 04:24 PM.
11-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you use an SD card reader that has the SD card reader slot on one end and a USB (male) end on the other, you can just plug the reader into your computer USB slot and access the files on your computer by using "My Computer".

I use an SD card reader to move my camera SD card files to my computer instead of using my camera/usb cord. I bought a small (about 6 inch) USB extension cord (one end USB female, one end USB male) that connects to my SD card reader and allows me to plug into the USB (computer) port without a struggle.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-17-2016 at 09:08 PM.
11-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Hutchinson Quote
If you are using a USB reader and all you want is the image files to be in a particular folder ('my pictures' in your case) I fail to see how you could be having a problem. Regardless of brand of camera, this is just basic file handling on a computer...open the drive with the files you want to move, copy the folder, paste it into the desired location, done. Or you can drag with a mouse from one to the other even. None of this is brand specific, just basic computer driving.