Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Bruce in Germany

Photos uploaded to Mac are 90% obscured

I have successfully uploaded photos from my K3 to my Mac Photos program. This time, with over 400 photos to upload from a recent trip, I uploaded all photos (which I had been able to see on the camera) but only about 10% of each image was visible (a strip across the top). The rest was a solid gray, blocking everything. What went wrong this time? The photos were erased from the camera and now I can't see the images on the computer. Help!

02-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce in Germany Quote
I have successfully uploaded photos from my K3 to my Mac Photos program. This time, with over 400 photos to upload from a recent trip, I uploaded all photos (which I had been able to see on the camera) but only about 10% of each image was visible (a strip across the top). The rest was a solid gray, blocking everything. What went wrong this time? The photos were erased from the camera and now I can't see the images on the computer. Help!
Not a Mac guy, but it sounds like the image data was corrupted or the transfer of that data was incomplete. It is better to take the memory card and insert it into a memory card reader. Then copy the files to your hard drive.

Once the copies of the images are complete and verified then it will be safe to clear the card for reuse.
02-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which program are you using? Which version of Mac OS? RAW or JPEG?

If you are using iPhoto find the iPhoto Library (probably in the Pictures folder) and right (or control) click on the icon. Select Show Package Contents. The files will be in the Masters Folder.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 12.53.30 PM.png
Views: 157
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 12.53.40 PM.png
Views: 132
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 12.53.49 PM.png
Views: 132
Size:  34.3 KB

For Photos find the Photos Library and do the same thing.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 12.54.13 PM.png
Views: 124
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 12.54.27 PM.png
Views: 145
Size:  23.2 KB

Copy the photos to another location and try to open them with a different editor like GraphicConverter.

Lemke Software: GraphicConverter

If they are RAW files try RPP.

Raw Photo Processor (RPP)

You can try to recover the files from the card using PhotoRec.

PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.
02-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Before anything bad happens, select the photos in question and export them to say a desktop folder: File/Export/Export Unmodified Original... You should be able to open and see them in Preview. If all is well, you can delete the ones in the library and re-import them. (One thing I do is always use DNG out of the camera. That way the photos are in a standard format instead of pentax proprietary.)