Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Dkcooper

Trying to find out value of some old camera stuff given to me.

I'm not really into photography much i think its all really cool but it doesn't seem like the hobby for me.
a family friend passed away a while ago and I was given a ton of photography equipment i don't know what most of it is except reading the sides of things lol.
there is 2 pentax super programs
a smc pentax-a macro 100mm
some sort of macro 70-200mm?
smc pentax-a 35-105mm
phase 2 cct 28mm
smc pentax-a 50mm
pentax af200t
pentax af080c
pentax af400t
PENTAX Macro Focus Rail III
Pentax Motor Drive A
there are tons of unopened filters and parts that I couldn't find names on all in boxes all of this stuff looks barely used or not used at all.
it all has the original manuals most of it has the boxes still.
the lenses don't have scratches or anything from what i saw but
I don't know what i'm looking for.

i'm just trying to get a rough estimate of some kind of value i don't really want to sell it individually just because i wont use the stuff that doesn't sell and it seems like a waste. i would rather sell it all together i don't know where to do so and i dont want to get ripped off either because im so clueless about it all.

thanks for any help in advance!

07-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Dkcooper

If you go here Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database you can search for various items and you'll get some idea of price. Alternatively, use ebay as a guide. If you become a member and site supporter, you can sell using our Marketplace. See READ FIRST: How to list items - marketplace rules - condition key - feedback guide - PentaxForums.com for more information.

You are much more likely to make a decent return if you list each individual item with it's own price and sell individually. A bulk lot sale will almost always result in a lower price for you.

Lastly, please do not negotiate a sale on these forums outside the Marketplace as that is against the rules.

Kind regards,
Mark
07-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look up completed sales on ebay and the PF marketplace, those are actual market values. You see a lot of listed asking prices on ebay that are outrageous, the seller is just hoping for an uninformed buyer. Asking prices on the PF Marketplace are much more realistic. You will probably make much more money by selling everything separately, or at least in smaller lots. Very few people would want it all, so they would not be willing to pay even market prices for stuff they don't want. It will be more work to sell it that way, but well worth it.
07-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the 100mm and the 35-105 would be highly wanted..

07-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Depending on the max aperture, the 50mm may be valuable. If you look at the front of the lens, around the edge of the glass, look for 1:1.2 (as opposed to 1:1.4, 1:1.7, 1:2, etc.) The Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2 commands a good price in the marketplace here, and on ebay. As pointed out above, you can look in the marketplace subforums to get an idea.
07-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some goodies in that batch. The flashes, not so much, but the lenses look like quality items.
I'd try to sell them here in the Marketplace. Look at historic pricing in the lens reviews then list them here.
08-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not just the fact of reduced price to sell the lot...unfortunately, grouped items seldom sell as a group...virtually no photogs want the exact same things in the kit as any other photog, and will typically have some items already. You sound like you don't want to be caught in all the monitoring etc. involved in selling this stuff an item at a time. I would just send it all off to KEH or B&H and they'll buy the entire lot. Note that they will pay about 50 cents on the dollar of current market value--wholesale. But if you value your time at double what you are paid at work, you will make several hundred dollars in "saved time revenue" by selling this way to compensate for the couple hundred dollar reduction in revenues you will receive. Selling all these items individually--photographing each item--posting--negotiating--and packing--and shipping--and insuring--and following up will be at least 40 hours of your time, probably lots more than that. If you like sitting at a computer then that may be worth it. I'd say take the low wholesale cashout!