Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
SharkyCA

Old Pentax lens on a new digital format

Hello all. Perhaps this forum may help me out, I have two 1970 ish Pentax SP cameras that have numerous lenses between them, screw mount and bayonet mount, can these antique lenses be used on the new digital format cameras? 42mm thread I believe, they are in storage and do not have access presently.

Thanks to anyone for their input.

09-01-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every lens made for Pentax or by Pentax can be used on modern Pentax DSLRs. M42 requires a special adapter and the link below will help you understand better how to use M42 lenses.

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
09-01-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Every lens made for Pentax or by Pentax can be used on modern Pentax DSLRs. M42 requires a special adapter and the link below will help you understand better how to use M42 lenses.

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
Thanks very much for your quick reply photolady95! You have made my day!
09-01-2017, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Thanks very much for your quick reply photolady95! You have made my day!
Happy to help. Now you need to join here so you can talk to others who use M42 lenses.

09-01-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I especially like using the 50mm, f/1.4 Super Takumar from my Spotmatic on my K10d.

Having cut my photographic teeth on a Spotmatic, manual focusing and stop-down metering don't bother me in the slightest.
09-01-2017, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the bayonet mount lenses( I don't use any M42 mount lenses so not sure about this with them), you need to go into the camera's menu and select allow aperture ring. I am not sure why Pentax does it this way but they do. I use several old/ legacy glass on my DSLR's
09-01-2017, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
On the bayonet mount lenses( I don't use any M42 mount lenses so not sure about this with them), you need to go into the camera's menu and select allow aperture ring. I am not sure why Pentax does it this way but they do. I use several old/ legacy glass on my DSLR's
When the *ist D was released it didn't allow for any manual lenses except A series lenses. The ability to use the aperture ring with stop down metering was added in a firmware update, and it's been required to change the setting ever since...

09-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When the *ist D was released it didn't allow for any manual lenses except A series lenses. The ability to use the aperture ring with stop down metering was added in a firmware update, and it's been required to change the setting ever since...
I blame the ZX-50...as it was one of the first crippled mount cameras.
09-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I blame the ZX-50...as it was one of the first crippled mount cameras.
I didn't mention the ZX-30/50/60 or *ist because they couldn't use the aperture ring at all...the *ist D could be updated to use the aperture ring, and was when it was clear there was a demand for it. It doesn't matter that it was dumb to keep the crippled mount on a flagship camera...
09-03-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Hello all. Perhaps this forum may help me out, I have two 1970 ish Pentax SP cameras that have numerous lenses between them, screw mount and bayonet mount, can these antique lenses be used on the new digital format cameras? 42mm thread I believe, they are in storage and do not have access presently.

Thanks to anyone for their input.
And they can be used on many digital cameras with an adapter. I have a lot of Pentax lenses all being used on a Sony digital body.
09-03-2017, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
And they can be used on many digital cameras with an adapter. I have a lot of Pentax lenses all being used on a Sony digital body.
With an M42 adapter there is really no advantage to using a pentax body with your M42 glass... except that overall Pentax has many more value options than Sony in legacy glass.. And as soon as you get into A lenses, then Pentax bodies have an advantage in ease of use.

Last edited by normhead; 09-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
09-08-2017, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
Some of the A lenses give great pics, I tend to pick them up whenever possible.
I started with an ME so I guess that I'm just showing my bias for the color and sharpness you can get with some of the old lenses...:-)