Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
SharkyCA
Guest




Old Pentax lens on a new digital format

Hello all. Perhaps this forum may help me out, I have two 1970 ish Pentax SP cameras that have numerous lenses between them, screw mount and bayonet mount, can these antique lenses be used on the new digital format cameras? 42mm thread I believe, they are in storage and do not have access presently.

Thanks to anyone for their input.

09-01-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
Every lens made for Pentax or by Pentax can be used on modern Pentax DSLRs. M42 requires a special adapter and the link below will help you understand better how to use M42 lenses.

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
09-01-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
SharkyCA's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 667
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Every lens made for Pentax or by Pentax can be used on modern Pentax DSLRs. M42 requires a special adapter and the link below will help you understand better how to use M42 lenses.

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
Thanks very much for your quick reply photolady95! You have made my day!
09-01-2017, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Thanks very much for your quick reply photolady95! You have made my day!
Happy to help. Now you need to join here so you can talk to others who use M42 lenses.

09-01-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
noblepa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,118
I especially like using the 50mm, f/1.4 Super Takumar from my Spotmatic on my K10d.

Having cut my photographic teeth on a Spotmatic, manual focusing and stop-down metering don't bother me in the slightest.
09-01-2017, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
patrick9's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,457
On the bayonet mount lenses( I don't use any M42 mount lenses so not sure about this with them), you need to go into the camera's menu and select allow aperture ring. I am not sure why Pentax does it this way but they do. I use several old/ legacy glass on my DSLR's
09-01-2017, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,467
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
On the bayonet mount lenses( I don't use any M42 mount lenses so not sure about this with them), you need to go into the camera's menu and select allow aperture ring. I am not sure why Pentax does it this way but they do. I use several old/ legacy glass on my DSLR's
When the *ist D was released it didn't allow for any manual lenses except A series lenses. The ability to use the aperture ring with stop down metering was added in a firmware update, and it's been required to change the setting ever since...
09-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
timw4mail's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Driving a Mirage
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,666
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
When the *ist D was released it didn't allow for any manual lenses except A series lenses. The ability to use the aperture ring with stop down metering was added in a firmware update, and it's been required to change the setting ever since...
I blame the ZX-50...as it was one of the first crippled mount cameras.

09-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,467
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I blame the ZX-50...as it was one of the first crippled mount cameras.
I didn't mention the ZX-30/50/60 or *ist because they couldn't use the aperture ring at all...the *ist D could be updated to use the aperture ring, and was when it was clear there was a demand for it. It doesn't matter that it was dumb to keep the crippled mount on a flagship camera...
09-03-2017, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Member
rjm007's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Hello all. Perhaps this forum may help me out, I have two 1970 ish Pentax SP cameras that have numerous lenses between them, screw mount and bayonet mount, can these antique lenses be used on the new digital format cameras? 42mm thread I believe, they are in storage and do not have access presently.

Thanks to anyone for their input.
And they can be used on many digital cameras with an adapter. I have a lot of Pentax lenses all being used on a Sony digital body.
09-03-2017, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,644
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
And they can be used on many digital cameras with an adapter. I have a lot of Pentax lenses all being used on a Sony digital body.
With an M42 adapter there is really no advantage to using a pentax body with your M42 glass... except that overall Pentax has many more value options than Sony in legacy glass.. And as soon as you get into A lenses, then Pentax bodies have an advantage in ease of use.

Last edited by normhead; 09-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
09-08-2017, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #12
Senior Member
opfor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 276
Some of the A lenses give great pics, I tend to pick them up whenever possible.
I started with an ME so I guess that I'm just showing my bias for the color and sharpness you can get with some of the old lenses...:-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, format, lenses, pentax, pentax help, pentax lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your non-pentax medium-format and large-format pictures DenisG Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 26 12-07-2020 08:02 PM
Nikon D850: New FX-format digital SLR camera coming soon. interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 301 12-18-2017 09:05 AM
28mm smc f/2 apsc digital for medium format film copy visiono Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 12-26-2016 11:18 AM
Rebuilding the 35 MM Format FA* line to the DA* APS-C Format Adrian Owerko Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 01-20-2010 11:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top