Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
troll4u2

Pentax ist DL

Hi, I just purchased a Pentax ist DL really cheap from a market. No loss if it is kapoot. The image does not display when you take a photo. I only get the black screen. Everything else seems to work perfectly though. I have read most of the forums and people are referring to processors or sensors being faulty. My camera did not come with an AF lens it came with a MF lens. Is there a way to be sure if it is a faulty processor or sensor? Thanks for your help.

09-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troll4u2 Quote
Hi, I just purchased a Pentax ist DL really cheap from a market. No loss if it is kapoot. The image does not display when you take a photo. I only get the black screen. Everything else seems to work perfectly though. I have read most of the forums and people are referring to processors or sensors being faulty. My camera did not come with an AF lens it came with a MF lens. Is there a way to be sure if it is a faulty processor or sensor? Thanks for your help.
can't help but this link includes links to manuals for that camera

Pentax *ist DL - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/istdl.pdf

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/istdl_soft.pdf

don't know if that helps or not
09-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by troll4u2 Quote
Are there any photos on the memory card?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds like a possible failure of the shutter. Can you take a long exposure photo (let's say 10 seconds) and see the sensor through the front of the lens?

09-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #5

Maybe it is the shutter like stated above, you can also try the sensor cleaning mode and see if the shutter are working.

Almost forgot, does the camera take a picture, but when you see it, it is black? If that so, then it might be the shutter.
09-09-2017, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try this, use the menu button to get into the record mode, scroll down to the instant preview , make sure it is on. Take a picture, the main LCD will display the image as it writes to the sd card. If you have an LCD image displayed but do not see it when you review captured image , try a different sd card. No LCD image displayed , with instant preview on, after taking a picture is not good news.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo