Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
True, the $20 gets you the green solenoids, which are considered good enough by Ricoh to put back in a camera for repair
Ricoh doesn't replace the solenoid but the entire diaphragm control block. Part #O-G0100

(photo linked from uscamera.com)

Here's the diaphragm control block of the K10D (from the K10D service manual)

And from the Super A (thanks @stevebrot for image from the Super A service manual)

The design is different but they all use a similar solenoid. They all have the same part number O-G100 (G0100) and name diaphragm control block. The "O-" prefix indicates it is a block (assembly) rather than a component.

07-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ricoh doesn't replace the solenoid but the entire diaphragm control block. Part #O-G0100

And from the Super A (thanks @stevebrot for image from the Super A service manual)

The design is different but they all use a similar solenoid. They all have the same part number O-G100 (G0100) and name diaphragm control block. The "O-" prefix indicates it is a block (assembly) rather than a component.
But the aperture block Ricoh uses has the same green solenoid, NaN!

Photogem would say that the camera is liable for a second failure.

07-19-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True, the $20 gets you the green solenoids, which are considered good enough by Ricoh to put back in a camera for repair
The sad thing is that there have been quite a few reports of failure just after the 1 year warranty for the repair.

....but I like your solution better, Photogem, because I'm persuaded by your white solenoid argument and of course it will cost some more.

I think you even had a supplier in German or similar?
Yes. But always check how much customs/duty you have to pay.
07-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I know Ricoh used to replace the entier diaphragm control block before "we" found out that the culprit is solely the solenoid.
At least in Europe they now just replace only the solenoid, that I know for sure, the price for the repair also went down almost half.

Repair including the whole block was about 260€, now one can get it around for around 139€.

And yet ..... yes, in all cases it is a green solenoid. So manufactured in China but possibly now with some modifications.

07-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

From the photos, the first one has a green solenoid and the second has a white solenoid. Pentax's consistently using the same number means that they have no way of tracing which solenoid went into which camera; the two are the same to them - and perhaps at acceptance inspection, they are the same, but they age differently.
07-22-2018, 12:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
From the photos, the first one has a green solenoid and the second has a white solenoid. Pentax's consistently using the same number means that they have no way of tracing which solenoid went into which camera; the two are the same to them - and perhaps at acceptance inspection, they are the same, but they age differently.
Of course the 2.nd one is the white solenoid, because it shows a photo of the block of a K10D.

Partnumbers do not change even if parts on such blocks change because otherwise service-manuals would have to be changed. It would be idiotic
to change partnumbers, causing chaos.

I believe they cannot trace "when the green solenoid came into action" because it was before Ricoh times. It must even have been before Hoya times because I have found the green solenoid in a K100D and a K200D (and those have not been repaired before).

I think it was 2007 when Hoya took over, the K200D came 2008 on the market but it had been deloped earlier.

It is also totally uninteresting to trace it, nobody cares, this knowledge is useless.

So with all due respect and also relating to the demand from others towards you:

It is useful information that helps. Useless information clogs those threads unnecessary.

Everybody who knows about the white solenoid lasting ways ways longer, there is nothing new in this, unnecessary clogging up.

But anyway:

Everybody here knows for sure, that the K30 was the first DSLR which from the beginning used the green solenoid.

More we don't need to know! Period!
07-22-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Of course the 2.nd one is the white solenoid, because it shows a photo of the block of a K10D.

Partnumbers do not change even if parts on such blocks change because otherwise service-manuals would have to be changed. It would be idiotic
to change partnumbers, causing chaos.

I believe they cannot trace "when the green solenoid came into action" because it was before Ricoh times. It must even have been before Hoya times because I have found the green solenoid in a K100D and a K200D (and those have not been repaired before).

I think it was 2007 when Hoya took over, the K200D came 2008 on the market but it had been deloped earlier.

It is also totally uninteresting to trace it, nobody cares, this knowledge is useless.

So with all due respect and also relating to the demand from others towards you:

It is useful information that helps. Useless information clogs those threads unnecessary.

Everybody who knows about the white solenoid lasting ways ways longer, there is nothing new in this, unnecessary clogging up.

But anyway:

Everybody here knows for sure, that the K30 was the first DSLR which from the beginning used the green solenoid.

More we don't need to know! Period!
Instead of complaining about my every word, why don't you share your knowledge with others.There are two or three threads going on right now where someone is about to purchase a K-70 and hasn't heard what you have heard from German sources. I can only hint, because that is "hearsay" coming from me, but you can say something with certainty.

07-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instead of complaining about my every word....

I am not complaining, I am (imho) critizising where you ... as I see it with all due respect... are pouring empty into the voyd,
i.e. not supporting threats nor supporting people but .. as I see it, try to scare them from daring.

why don't you share your knowledge with others.There are two or three threads going on right now where someone is about to purchase a K-70 and hasn't heard what you have heard from German sources. I can only hint, because that is "hearsay" coming from me, but you can say something with certainty.
Wrong! I have not dismantled a K70.
07-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Wrong! I have not dismantled a K70.
But when I suggested
considering the cost of a replacement, K-30, K-50, K-70, I believe that replacement is a prudent path
You warned
In Germany 3 failures of the K70 have been reported.
implying you feel that purchasing a K-70 is also a risky path. If you do not feel the K-70 is risky, then please say so.

Last edited by reh321; 07-23-2018 at 11:33 AM.
07-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I am not complaining, I am (imho) critizising where you ... as I see it with all due respect... are pouring empty into the voyd,
i.e. not supporting threats nor supporting people but .. as I see it, try to scare them from daring.
My sole reason for my statement which started this subthread
was exactly what is says there - that since Pentax uses the same number for white solenoid and green solenoid, people should not be surprised if they cannot mine their records for data. I am not trying to scare anyone from doing anything; I am trying to understand Pentax's claimed lack of knowledge.
07-23-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Instead of complaining about my every word, why don't you share your knowledge with others.There are two or three threads going on right now where someone is about to purchase a K-70 and hasn't heard what you have heard from German sources. I can only hint, because that is "hearsay" coming from me, but you can say something with certainty.
Well, it's certainly not Photogem's job in the world to do this.

If he has made a discovery (like the white solenoids), just link back to it, because you spend more time on the forum than him.

He really doesn't post much and I think we should all be grateful for his findings.

That your camera is failing isn't his fault, he's just the messenger.

That your electronics skills are such that you would need to pay someone else to replace the solenoid is hardly his fault either.

Last edited by clackers; 07-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.
07-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Well, it's not Photogem's job in the world to do this.

If he has made a discovery (like the white solenoids), just link back to it, because you spend more time on the forum than him.

He really doesn't post much and I think we should all be grateful for his findings.
And most of the time he spends on the forums he spends criticizing what he thinks I said rather than what I did say; that is not his job either.

I asked him to clarify his statements. Should we be concerned about the K-70? That should be an easy question to answer.
07-23-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And most of the time he spends on the forums he spends criticizing what he thinks I said rather than what I did say; that is not his job either.

I asked him to clarify his statements. Should we be concerned about the K-70? That should be an easy question to answer
Get angry with Ricoh - it's their products - rather than the guy who's possibly done more than anyone else to give us an understanding of what's going on.

You should be thanking him.

That would be the noble thing to do.
07-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Get angry with Ricoh - it's their products - rather than the guy who's possibly done more than anyone else to give us an understanding of what's going on.

You should be thanking him.

That would be the noble thing to do.
I have no reason to be angry with Ricoh.
The gist of my post that started this sub-thread is that they see no difference between the solenoids.
That is the post he jumped on and accused me of scaring people - no, I was explaining what would cause these actions we see.

I believe these solenoids 'acceptance test' the same, but they may age differently.
That is why the K-70 question is so important .... they may not have been in circulation long enough for issues to show up.
07-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no reason to be angry with Ricoh.
The gist of my post that started this sub-thread is that they see no difference between the solenoids.
He has shown a difference with a multimeter.

Someone with a K-70 can open it up and test with a multimeter, if that's what you're on about.

Photogem has made incredibly valuable discoveries here, what have you done?

Your own plan is to let your camera fail completely.