Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
vonner

connecting K70

I'm having trouble connecting via wifi to my phone. I have a Pentax K-70. Is there a video or step by step directions? Please provide. Thanks

11-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a video walkthrough and step by step guide here:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Wi-Fi Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

But basically, all you need to do is connect to the camera's network and the open the app.

The K-70 has no NFC, so follow the no NFC instructions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When I had to do this with my Kp I found the instructions in the manual - by memory the only bit that threw me was that the password for the connection is stored in the menus on the camera
05-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #4

I just can’t get it working. When I tap the camera in the upper right of the image sync app it does nothing.

06-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurieb Quote
I just can’t get it working. When I tap the camera in the upper right of the image sync app it does nothing.
For me on KP it is the same problem. I bought PentaxPhotoSync and while it might not be perfect, at least it works for me (and not very expensive).

Note: later it randomly started working (I first connected to Pentax WIFI, then started the app), but it did not for the few first times, even after card format. I still sticking to paid app.
06-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by vonner Quote
I'm having trouble connecting via wifi to my phone. I have a Pentax K-70. Is there a video or step by step directions? Please provide. Thanks
Currently I have the same problem with my new cell phone and k-70. "Image Sync" supported OS Android 4.4 - 6.0.1. If we have newer Android (7-8) the program does not work.

Last edited by Stawe; 06-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
03-25-2019, 03:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i have followed all the instructions and methods described to connect my K70 to phone via wifi. Nothing works.

03-25-2019, 03:19 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
i have followed all the instructions and methods described to connect my K70 to phone via wifi. Nothing works.
Can you get a webpage on your phone? This should not not be possible.

If your phone switches to cell data in order to maintain internet connectivity, the app will not work. Disable to test.

The method is different for different phones.

03-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Your best bet is to manually connect to the camera's network, and then open the app. Note that the app is a bit flaky on newer versions of Android, so it may take a few tries.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #10

I am having no problem connecting to my K-70, but I am not using a smartphone or tablet with Image Sync (iOS or Android). I am using Wifi Commander for Pentax to connect my Win7 laptop to the K-70. I use it when the K-70 is on its DIY mount above my electronics workbench to look down on and photograph something that I am working on. I can't use Image Sync because my old tablet is pretty well maxed out at Android 4.0 and Image Sync needs 4.4 or later. As a sometime IT guy I do, however, have a few thoughts for those having problems connecting to the K-70 with wifi:

1) Know what the camera's SSID and password are. In the K-70 they are in the menu at Set-up (the wrench symbol) | 3 | Wifi | Communications Info. On my K-70 the SSID is PENTAX_nnnnnn, where "n" represents a digit. The password is Annnnnnn, where "A" represents a capital letter and "n" represents a digit, and the last six digits of the password are the same as the six digits in the SSID of the camera.

2) As noted upstream a tablet or smartphone has to be running in wifi mode. An internet connection through the cell network does not work - you need to disable that and run in wifi mode.

3) I dunno about iOS (I don't own anything Apple except records) but Android smartphones and tablets let you choose which wifi network to connect to. On my old Android tablet that is in Settings | Wifi and on the right side of the screen available wifi networks are shown, allowing you to connect to the one that you choose. I can connect my Android tablet to the K-70 with wifi, I just don't have an app that will run on the tablet that can do anything with the camera.

If anyone knows of an Android app that will run under Android 4.0 and that works with the K-70 I would like to try it.
05-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I found a similar issue with my Samsung S7.
Once I manually connected to the K-70 from the phones wifi and then opened the Image Synk app and it worked for me