Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
Christopher H

Vivitar 28mm 2.8 with K1000?

I have been looking for a new wide angle lens for my Pentax K1000. I currently have the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f2.0.
While searching I came across a lens for sale titled "Vivitar Auto-Wide Angle 28mm f2.8 lens with a PK mount".

I was trying to do some research and I could only find the close focus version of this lens. I wanted to ask and find out if this lens will fit on my K1000?
If there is anyone who would have some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

01-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps this one?

Vivitar (PK-A, 98xxxxx = cosina) 28mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Or this one,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-mc-28mm-f2-8-wide-angle.html

Or this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-28mm-sms-f-2-8.html

As long as it's PK mount it will work on the K1000.

Last edited by photolady95; 01-02-2018 at 10:51 PM.
01-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are many versions of Vivitar 28mm lenses. You can tell the manufacturer from the first two digits of the serial number:
Vivitar serial numbers - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
Generally the serials starting with 28 or 22 are the best ones

A Guy named Robin Parmar did extensive research. You can find it here: http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html

Last edited by D1N0; 01-03-2018 at 03:13 AM.
01-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As photolady95 said above as long as it is a Pentax PK, or may be listed as "Pentax K", or "PKA", these will all work on your K1000. You may also see lenses listed as Pentax mount that are "M42" or "screw mount" or something like that, which is probably not what you are looking for (these will work on the K1000 with an adapter, but setting the light meter is somewhat more complicated - in my opinion I would look for the K mount and not mess with M42 mount, there are lots of the Vivitar 28mm lenses out there in K mount). In addition to the 28... and 22... serial numbers I have a Cosina made version of the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 with a serial number that starts with 9 and it is a fine lens. These are great lenses for the money.

01-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary
01-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps this information might help the OP

" Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

[ the K 1000 Pentax camera body is on the last line of the chart ]

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
______________________ _______________________

Overview

This table summarizes the evolution of the K-mount at a glance:

Mount Introduced Comments Features

K 1975 The original Av and M exposure Manual focus

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-m...#ixzz53znrWOdC

Last edited by Aslyfox; 01-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.
04-25-2018, 02:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What is a good after market (third party) 28mm lens that provides A setting functionality? The Pentax 28mm A is very pricy in Australia.
04-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
What is a good after market (third party) 28mm lens that provides A setting functionality? The Pentax 28mm A is very pricy in Australia.
have you looked at the users reviews of third party lenses

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

I like my Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC

I have the PK/A mount

Read more at: Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

" Fast 28mm wide angle, also sold under the Vivitar marque, can be found in M42, PK and, more rarely, PKA, mounts.

Construction; 8 elements in 8 groups
Filter Diameter: 55mm
Aperture: f2 - f16, half clicks, with DOF scale on barrel
Iris: 6 blades
CFD: 0.3m / 12"
Focus throw: ~ 120 deg rotation
Length: 5cms.
Weight: 284g / 10oz
FOV: 66 Degrees (Horizontal) on full frame.

For contemporary magazine reviews of this lens see:

http://www.boggys.co.uk/page50.html "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/kiron-28mm-f2-mc.html#ixzz5DfysI2HJ

you might find some examples here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/251683-kiron-lens-club.html

Last edited by Aslyfox; 04-25-2018 at 03:39 AM.
04-25-2018, 03:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You Might look for a Sigma Mini Wide II which is decent or the
Ricoh 28mm f/2.8 Rikenon P (But beware of the Ricoh pin that can get it stuck on K-mount.)
04-25-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you. I did look at the third party lens data base but as there are so many I just don't know which ones have the A setting.

What I am looking for is a direct replacement for the Pentax SMC-A 28mm that will provide full A functionality on my Super A/Super Program camera. For that I need the PKA mount, right? I have been shooting Pentax DSLRs for quite some time now but a complete newby when it comes to Pentax film era cameras and lenses, esp the manual ones.
04-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. I did look at the third party lens data base but as there are so many I just don't know which ones have the A setting.

What I am looking for is a direct replacement for the Pentax SMC-A 28mm that will provide full A functionality on my Super A/Super Program camera. For that I need the PKA mount, right? I have been shooting Pentax DSLRs for quite some time now but a complete newby when it comes to Pentax film era cameras and lenses, esp the manual ones.
yes

you need the A

aka PK/A

I am not sure if the reviews show which have the A or PK/A mount
04-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
yes

you need the A

aka PK/A

I am not sure if the reviews show which have the A or PK/A mount
Thank you for the advice.

No, many of the the reviews don't specifically state if the lens is a A or PK/A lens. That is why I was wondering if someone here could recommend a third party 28mm or 24mm that will work in A mode.
04-25-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the advice.

No, many of the the reviews don't specifically state if the lens is a A or PK/A lens. That is why I was wondering if someone here could recommend a third party 28mm or 24mm that will work in A mode.
this is a list from Wiki that might be a starting point

List of lenses with any K-mount variant

Pentax K-mount - Wikipedia

I would also review this if I was you

" Third Party Variants of the K-mount

Pentax made the original "K" mount available for other camera manufacturers to adopt. The goal was to create a universal standard bayonet mount much like the M42 screw mount had been. Ricoh, Chinon, and others produced cameras and lenses with the "K" mount. Unfortunately, with the introduction of the "KA" mount, Pentax reversed the decision with the result that the other manufacturers either abandoned the "K" mount or developed their own, somewhat incompatible, enhancements. Several third party lens manufacturers produce or has produced lenses with a K-mount. There are no issues with current third party lenses in K-mount, but for older lenses there are two traps to watch out for:

The infamous "Ricoh pin".
Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-m...#ixzz5DgrtmZxV

Last edited by Aslyfox; 04-25-2018 at 06:28 AM.
04-25-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took my Dremel and a grinding bit to the shield on a lens recently then painted the ground areas with semigloss black paint to reduce reflection issues off the shield. Works fine, took maybe 15 minutes tops.

Too bad the lens isn't a better performer...The grinding work isn't pretty, I wouldn't brag about it, but it's not going to cause anyone problems.

Had an Albinar 28mm f2.8 "Macro" prime with a Ricoh pin get stuck on my K-5 II once. That was fun. Feeler gauges, patience, and a lot of wiggling of the AF drive switch on the camera body eventually got the situation fixed. To make it so this couldn't happen again, I took the mount off the lens and took the pin out. Probably five minutes work. Then I could use the Albinar with ease on my Pentax DSLR which helped me discover that optically that lens is garbage.

Make sure you understand how the aperture is controlled via these older SRL's. I don't believe the Super-A/Super-Program will let you directly control the lens aperture, it's only the camera's decision based on different factors as to what aperture it will select. This is a confusing subject to read about; I came from DSLR's first, and am now going back to film for the first time really, and basically decided that unless I wanted one of the late AF Pentax film bodies, I would probably be happier with manual-only aperture rigs. This statement may be controversial, and there's times when I wish I could use some lenses that don't have aperture rings (DA 35 f2.4, DA 40, DA 50 1.8, DA 70, some of the more recent 2x-7xmm zooms all come to mind). There's also the question of how accurate the light meter is.

Good luck!
04-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks you very much for the advice!